do I need to treat this splay leg?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by sarahswank, Oct 1, 2013.

1. sarahswank

sarahswank Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2013
    Garden City, Kansas
    I noticed one of the 3 day old chicks has an odd stance and less balance then the others. Sort of splay legged, but not really that pronouced. Sometimes she is standing what I would deem normally, and sometimes she stands with her feet further apart. I have never had a chick with splay leg, so I dont know weither to treat her with a bandaid or just give her a few more days to try and get her own legs under her. (is there much of a risk if I treat? I would hate to bandage her up wrong.)

She does walk around, eat, run. She just looks a bit off balance when standing still. All of these photos were taking within a few seconds of eachother. You can see how as she moves around the difference between the legs seem not normal and then normal. (The floor by the ways is not that slick, plus it was only for a few quick ground level photos.)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    I'd leave her alone for now. Some chicks have a mild case of splay leg, and recover fine. I once had a chick who had a slight case of it, and she was normal after a week or so. Just keep an eye on her in case it gets worse.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by