1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Do I need to use a light for my laying hens and heat?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chickenmanreno, Oct 2, 2013.

1. chickenmanreno

chickenmanreno Out Of The Brooder

Sep 26, 2013
    Reno Texas
    I was wanting advice and wondering in Texas if I will need to add a light at night for them and what about heat as well ?My hens just started laying yesterday first egg 23 weeks old. I would rather buy more chickens than have to add light.

2. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

Adding artificial light to encourage laying thru the winter is a personal choice. I personally prefer to let nature take it's course and let the girls bodies have a bit of a rest from egg laying. My first year birds often lay right on thru winter anyway. Other's who depend on egg's for selling etc. and need to keep production more consistent add light. They don't need heat.

3. chickenmanreno

Sep 26, 2013
    Reno Texas
    Thanks no Heat or light is needed.

4. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    You usually don't need to add supplemental light for a pullet's first year of laying. Generally, pullets will lay through their first winter, even if extra light isn't provided. After the first year, you can add lighting, but it really is a matter of personal opinion. I don't provide lighting for my birds in the winter, and they lay right through. They slow down somewhat, but they don't stop laying. I agree with cafarmgirl; they definitely don't need heat. Even in northern states, many people don't provide heat for their chickens. Chickens are very hardy creatures.

5. GingerJane

GingerJane Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2013
    Nope they hatch their chicks all on their own.

6. chickenmanreno

Sep 26, 2013
    Reno Texas
    Thank you that sounds easy enough maybe just plastic over my window for the wind .

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by