1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Do I need to use Sulmet?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by JudyMcKinn, Nov 30, 2007.

1. JudyMcKinn

JudyMcKinn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2007
    SW MO
    I have about 55 or 60 different chickens, several types, in 6 pens. Have never had coccidiosis that I know of, but read about it showing up, on several of the chicken lists. They are treating with Sulmet. My question--should I dose with Sulmet as a preventative?? If so, how often, how long, how much?

And, everyone has pretty well quit laying. My main pen (22 standard hens) have been molting for a couple months and not laying AT ALL, but have now grown in pretty feathers, but still no eggs. ???
    I am getting a little irritated, as feed isn't cheap. Anything I can do to sort of bring them back to laying? They are mostly Americanas, EE's, & 3 Marans. They are 2 years old.

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

I would not treat for something you don't have. Keep it on hand IF you have birds getting sick, but it is unlikely if your birds are adults, established, and in healthy conditions.

As for eggs, add artificial lighting to get them going again 14 hours is ideal for laying. I let my birds rest though.

3. JudyMcKinn

JudyMcKinn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2007
    SW MO
    Thanks! Sounds good. And, mine have been "resting" for 2 months or better--time for them to get back to work! [​IMG]

4. dlhunicorn

dlhunicorn Human Encyclopedia

Jan 11, 2007
    Cocci in older birds established in the same place is very rare ...sulmet can be toxicand I would not advise to use unless needed to specifically treat...if it ain't broke don't fix it!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by