Do I need to vaccinate healthy chickens?

cindy78

Hatching
8 Years
Jan 25, 2011
Hello, I'm new to this site and also to raising chickens. I am planning on raising chickens but before I even buy them, I wanted to do some research.

Is it necessary to vaccinate chickens? I heard about the marek's vaccination. But are there any other vaccinations I need to do on an annual basis? Thank you

P.S. I'm planning on getting Plymouth rocks and New Hamshire Reds. Is that a good idea?
hmm.png

Cindy

Quote:
The link goes to posting a reply on this sight......

I have had chickens for a while, and I just ordered 25 more chickens. I have never had my chicks vaccinated before, and they have always been okay. I don't really know much about it though.

I got my order vaccinated against mareks and coccidiosis. The only difference is I wont be buying medicated food since they are vaccinated. I have never had any chicks vaccinated before. But then again never bought chickens from a hatchery until this order. It was only $0.15 per bird per vaccine. So I figure the $7ish it cost me isnt that big of a deal.

I do not believe it is necessary, but i figured what the heck.

Sorry, not much help. I dont get my chicks until Feb 7th. So hopefully all will arrive safe!

Hello, I'm new to this site and also to raising chickens. I am planning on raising chickens but before I even buy them, I wanted to do some research.

You have come to the right place. Do your research before you get your chickens.

Is it necessary to vaccinate chickens? I heard about the marek's vaccination. But are there any other vaccinations I need to do on an annual basis? Thank you

It is a personal decision. I did not vaccinate my girls and they are just fine. Others do. Old timers never did. Its really up to you. Read up on it and form your own opinion.

P.S. I'm planning on getting Plymouth rocks and New Hamshire Reds. Is that a good idea?
hmm.png

I dont know about the Reds as I havent had them. I do, however, have plymouth rocks and my girls are great! They are good foragers, give me nice eggs, are pretty good to handle and funny to watch! I have GLwyanddottes as well and they are the more docile and laid back of the two breeds. Not sure where you live but these are cold hardy breeds and mine have been out in the -15 degree weather hanging out under their coop because they hate being locked up.

Do yourself a favor and read the learning section on this forum. Raising Chickens for Dummies and Building Coops for Dummies are also good books to read. If you are REALLY serious, Storeys guide to raising chickens is also a great resource. Good luck!

Magoochie--

Where did you purchase your birds? I like to have mine vac for merecks and coccidiosis but have only found one hatchery offering coccidiosis vaccinations--MM. I'm trying to find others because MM doesn't have all the varieties I'm looking for. I read about a broiler facility (googled poultry coccidiosis) that after vaccinating for this disease experienced a better survivability and growth rate than when the birds were fed feed with the antibiotic. Our antibiotics are often not as effect as they used to be. So i'm interested in not needing medicated feed and would like to use more vaccinations to improve my flocks health.

Back
Top Bottom