Do I need to worm them all?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Freia, Dec 27, 2012.

1. Freia

Freia Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2012
    2 months ago, I did my usual Fall worming of the ladies with eprinex. I have 3 Spring chicks that were too young to deworm, so they did not get wormed.

This week, I got one egg from one of the new chicks with a worm in it (ewwwww, merry Christmas...). Do I just need to worm the 3 chicks (who are now 7 months old) or do I need to reworm the whole flock?

2. willowbranchfarm

willowbranchfarm Chicken Boots

Oct 3, 2011
    Virginia
    My Coop
    Wow thats rare. Personally I would worm them all. Usually when you find worms in eggs, its because of a bad infestation. That's why I would worm them all.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2012
  3. Freia

Jan 11, 2012
    Is it possible that it wasn't a worm in the egg? Could it have been a blood vessel? The egg was hard-boiled. when I sliced the first slice, I thought the blood-spot or meat-spot looked a bit odd, so I just crumbled up the egg to see what it was. It was about 1.5" long and 1mm in diameter and a deep reddish-brown color. So it was the color of dried/cooked blood. But the shape was just so worm-like, it kind of gave me the heebie jeebies.

Oh, and the white was kind of a grey-ish/light brownish color in the area near the "foreign object"

Last edited: Dec 27, 2012
  4. willowbranchfarm

Oct 3, 2011
    Virginia
    My Coop

Yes its possible that it was a fertile egg with a growing chick inside. That would be the only thing I could think of. Do you have a picture of it??

5. Freia

Jan 11, 2012
    I don't have a picture. I was preparing Christmas breakfast and was more concerned about hiding it from the kids than documenting it. I don't have a rooster, so it would not have been a fertile egg. If it were a blood vessel, it would have been a vessel from the oviduct.

I have figured out though, that a roundworm is 1.25-3" long and about the thickness of pencil-lead. Yup. that would be it. I'm worming them all. I don't want to be worming my ladies every other month. I'll worm them tomorrow with the Eprinex, then again in 10 days, then try a monthly Verm-X after that to see if it can keep things in check. I do apply DE to their coop bedding, but they have the whole 5 acres to scratch and peck on, so they're pretty much doomed to be wormy to some extent.

6. willowbranchfarm

Oct 3, 2011
    Virginia
    My Coop
    Worms gross me out. They're the one thing I cant stand. Good luck.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by