Do I need to worry ?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chickenriot, Oct 27, 2010.

1. chickenriot

chickenriot Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2010
    Brownsboro, Tx.
    Hi everyone,

I hope someone can give me some advice about one of my silkie roosters.

A couple of weeks ago I noticed this little guy looking kind of listless so I grabbed him up and brought him inside. I was afraid that he had gotten chilled the night before because I had placed him in a separate pen in the coop to "keep the peace", and wouldn't you know, a cool front blew in . He had a rolled up piece of flannel and the floor was covered in pine litter, plus the entry doors were all closed. The windows were open a couple of inches and there is ventilation in the ceiling. (no drafts) He didn't have another silkie to "cuddle with" however. The temperature had only dropped to the mid 40's but is that enough when he had no company ?

I spoke with our vet about him the day I brought him in. Our vet is primarily a dog/cat doc but he had some experience with chickens in vet school. I told him how the silkie was acting and he advised me to put him on an antibiotic. The bird never had any discharge from his beak or eyes and is acting normally except for a weird little "crow".

He does the usual "Ur Ur Ur !" then kind of sighs at the end like he's letting out air. We have listened to his lungs ( no rattles). His droppings look good. Great appetite also. He is crowing like mad as I type this.

I have been taking him outside to a separate run when the weather is good. (80's this week and last) I always bring him in at night.

My husband thinks the silkie has always crowed like this and that there is nothing wrong with him. Any opinions ?

In case you haven't guessed, I'm a first time chicken keeper. [​IMG]

2. rosco

rosco Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2009
    Texas Panhandle
    watch for any of the symptoms in the tables at the end although i think your roo is okay. there is a symptom of voice change i've heard of. i think it is called "Rasp." sounds like a goose or something.

http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

3. chickenriot

chickenriot Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2010
    Brownsboro, Tx.
    Thank you for replying.

I really appreciate the input and I downloaded the link you gave me so I can study it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by