Do I Need Trees in my pheasant coop??

Discussion in 'Pheasants and Partridge (Chukar)' started by toejam, Jan 24, 2010.

1. toejam

toejam Never enough birds

Dec 21, 2009
    SW Ohio, Wilmington
    I was looking at some people's pics of coops and most have tree branches. My coop does not. So I was wondering if I needed trees?? I have a pair of Chinaese ringnecks... if that helps at all.

2. Tony K T

Tony K T Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    New Hampshire
    They are not needed,but your birds will love to hide in them.It also helps to keep them calm if they have a place to hide.
    In N.H.,Tony.[​IMG][​IMG]

3. toejam

Dec 21, 2009
    SW Ohio, Wilmington
    okay thank you so much. Anyone else????

4. Boggy Bottom Bantams

Boggy Bottom Bantams Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2008
    Hahira, GA
    Have to fully agree with Tony, not required, but any ground cover or trees, even just a log or something will go a long way in calming them down, and making them feel more secure, and happy pheasants breed best, worried stressed out ones seldom do....

5. toejam

Dec 21, 2009
    SW Ohio, Wilmington
    OKay, well mine are in one of those outside dog kennels( Only have a pair) so if I can get a small enough part of a tree it will work.

6. Boggy Bottom Bantams

Boggy Bottom Bantams Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2008
    Hahira, GA
    Oh yea, anything for cover is always a plus when it comes to pheasants, even if it's just a sheet of tin, or an old christmas tree...

7. toejam

Dec 21, 2009
    SW Ohio, Wilmington
    Okay, thanks everyone, now I have something else to do.

8. peewee

peewee Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2008
    Orlando, Florida
    I use one of the 40-50 gallon black plastic tree pots turned upside down with a "door" cut out of the side. My pheasants seem to really like them. They always seem to make their nests in them.

9. Teach97

Teach97 Bantam Addict

Nov 12, 2008
    Hooker, OK
    what type of pheasant? Some totally prefer to roost and some like the ground

10. Sir Birdaholic

Sir Birdaholic Night Knight

I cut bamboo chutes & poke in the ground so they have "bushes" to go in & out of. I also have several branches hanging for roosts. I have rock "benches" they like to lay eggs under. I try to make it as natural as possible.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 30, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by