Do I need wire fencing under the floor of the coop?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by HouseMouseHens, Sep 11, 2012.

1. HouseMouseHens

HouseMouseHens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 31, 2012
    Portland, Oregon
    My Coop
    So my neighbor (one without chickens) came to look at my coop progress yesterday, and asked if I had put fencing under the floor of my coop, which I didn't. I built the floor with 2x4s spaced about two to three inches apart and secured to the walls, then laid plywood over that, and some old cork flooring over that to make it a smooth surface. Before the girls move in, we're putting vinyl flooring down since the cork flooring will absorb moisture (something we didn't think about before putting it in)... will raccoons/etc be able to get through 2x4s and plywood? That seems a little far fetched to me... If that was the case, then they would be able to get through the 2x4 and plywood walls of my garage where the chicks currently are... Seems a little far fetched to me. We're going to lay down fencing under the run secured to the frame before we lay gravel and sand, but the coop floor seems sufficient to me.... Am I missing something here?

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Seems to me that your coop floor will be impervious to predator attack.

3. HouseMouseHens

HouseMouseHens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 31, 2012
    Portland, Oregon
    My Coop
    That is what I thought too... Unless a beaver comes around. ;)

Last edited: Sep 11, 2012
    1 person likes this.
  4. TXchickmum

TXchickmum Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2012
    North Texas
    Your coop floor should be just fine - sounds secure to me!
    (We placed hardware cloth on the bottom of ours because the lower level is a small run and only has dirt/ground for the floor.)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by