do I own these chicks or do they own me?!?!

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by chelsey21211, Mar 23, 2013.

1. chelsey21211

chelsey21211 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2013
    North Texas
    So iv gotn some baby chicks and now I'm happier but more stressed it seems. not too bad though. I have 10 little ones in my bathroom annd I'm finding it hard to stay outa there! Every time i go in there to use appropriately I end up chexkin for.pasty buty

2. chelsey21211

Mar 15, 2013
    North Texas
    (Ended that alittle to soon) checkn for pasty butts giving snuggles or hand feeding for 20minutes or more! Anyone else wrapped around their chicks little toes or is just me?!? :)

3. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Oh, it's not just the chicks - my oldest bird is four years old and the youngest are but two weeks old. The latter were four of my flock's eggs given to a newly-acquired silkie hen adopted from a family worried about how much she was being bullied by their other chickens.

She became a house silkie as soon as I got her home. :love Two weeks later, she went broody, so I gave her the eggs. She is such a good momma; she lets me check on her chicks and doesn't mind my sitting and watching her take care of them in her brooder bin. I lose time just watching them.

The oldest hen, the four year old, has always been a little aloof but about a month ago, she actually started to accept treats from the palm of my hand. (I bought her as a laying hen before my first seven chicks were old enough to lay.) She would come very close and eat treats the others dropped or which I tossed to the shyer birds. My heart just swelled when she stepped closer and "stole" a black oil sunflower seed and stepped away to eat it. This was a major accomplishment, as there were thirty-some others gobbling down seed, often four hens snacking from each of my hands at a time. Then she snuck back between two others and snatched another seed.

I sat cross-legged on the ground and continued to hand feed treats far longer than I usually do, just waiting for Minerva (Lakenvelder) to stand stll and eat directly from my palm.

...just one example of being captivated by chickens of any age...

Last edited: Mar 24, 2013
  4. chelsey21211

Mar 15, 2013
    North Texas
    thats so nice!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by