1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

Do I pull the only hatched chick out yet!?!?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by JosieChick, Oct 24, 2010.

1. JosieChick

JosieChick Songster

May 4, 2010
    Lyman, ME
    Hi all,
    I know everyone says don't open the bator til the hatch is over but I have a dilemma. I have 7 silkie eggs in lockdown in my piece of junk LG with fan. Saturday was hatch day but my first day of lockdown my temp was a degree low for about 15 hours and I have struggled to keep the temp level all day yesterday and today. It fluctuates between 98.8 and 99.8 throughout the day with lots of adjustments. Humidity was about 75% the first day of lockdown, never been that high before when I added the same amount of water but it was that high and is now hovering around 70%. If I hatch much lower than that here I wind up with shrink wrapped chicks. Humidity during incubation usually between 40-50%. I have tried dry hatching and didn't get anything to hatch. One chick hatched on hatch day around 3:30 AM and looks great. No one else is doing anything(not even any pips). I know the little one can stay in for up to three days but what are the odds that any of the other chicks are going to hatch? Should I wait until tomorrow AM to pull it out and see if they do anything overnight. I hate to leave it in there and not have anyone else hatch, usually they all hatch together. I did candle on day 18 and all eggs were dark and formed and a few moved. Any suggestions for a lone chick if this is the only one? I should have more silkies hatching middle of the week so hopefully it will only be for a few days but the poor little thing! No more hatching in the LG for me after this! Thanks in advance for any advice. [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 24, 2010

2. JosieChick

JosieChick Songster

May 4, 2010
    Lyman, ME
    Where are all the hatching experts tonight, very loud peeping chick would like to come out![​IMG]

3. taraann81

taraann81 Songster

Apr 9, 2009
    Ontario
    Hi there. Leave the chick...Like you said , they can stay in there and need no food or water for up to 72 hrs, so why rush it and possibly compromise your chicks that could possibly hatch.

I incubate at a higher temp than you..101-102 and get great hatch rates..I found my lower temps caused a lower % to hatch and some were deformed. 101-102 works good foe me, but everyones bator and situation is different!
    Good luck

4. taraann81

taraann81 Songster

Apr 9, 2009
    Ontario
    I some how misread..If hatch day was sat, I'd prob pull the peep very quick(snatch and close) A lone chick fopr afew days should be okay..if any longer I would search out a chick or 2 to purchase to keep it company

5. JosieChick

JosieChick Songster

May 4, 2010
    Lyman, ME
    Thanks! Is your bator a forced air and you incubate at a higher temp still? I incubate at 99.5 in the hovabator and have been hatching in the LG but it is so hard to keep the temp stable in that I don't think I am going to use it again. I was thinking of purchasing the Genesis 1588 to use as an incubator and retire my styrofoam hovabator to hatch in. I have had much better luck keeping the temp stable in the Hovabator. I was under the impression that 99.5 was the perfect temp and that is what I should strive for?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by