Do I pull these feathers?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by CascadiaRiver, Apr 9, 2017.

1. CascadiaRiver

CascadiaRiver Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2014
    Pacific Northwest
    This is Piper, my light brown bantam leghorn who got burned by a heat lamp (I believe) this winter. I would like to take her to fair this year again but as you can see her feathers are pretty messed up... I have learned my lesson on heat lamps but that has passed and now I am wondering about her feathers.

As you can see its on her wing in her secondaries mainly but a few in the primaries. Do I pull them and if I should how often and how many? Or should I just wait until she molts them out this winter and forget about taking her to fair? (I might take her anyway just to show her off even if it is a DQ which I'm not positive it is)

[​IMG]
    damage while her wing is normal

[​IMG]
    Damage when wing is out

[​IMG]
    the small bit of damage to the primaries (primary coverts? not sure, the smaller ones)

2. eggbert420

eggbert420 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2017
    Texas
    No

3. missprissychick

missprissychick Out Of The Brooder

Mar 22, 2017
    I would just let her molt. You probably wouldn't let another hen pick at her so why would you. I am sure it would be stressful.

4. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    While a fully plucked feather should spur regrowth right away....I would not do it, but I don't show birds.
    Are you involved in 4H....maybe a leader there could advise you directly regarding the judging criteria??
    Might depend on the contest you are entering and whether it's about showmanship or perfectly plumed pure breed birds.

5. CascadiaRiver

CascadiaRiver Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2014
    Pacific Northwest
    I am in 4H and have a meeting this week so I'll ask my leader and some of the members about it. My friend raises and shows light brown leggy bantams too (he has a breeding project while she was just a random egg we hatched from a friend) so I am questioning showing her already because he is improving his line, though last year I almost beat him for 1st place in the breed.

And at fair its about the quality of the bird and the overall appearance (and how close they are to the standard) and I believe this would at very least dock her some points, but who knows :)

6. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Maybe @fowlman01 or @meltel can offer some advice?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by