Do I pull these feathers?

CascadiaRiver

Songster
9 Years
Dec 12, 2014
Pacific Northwest
This is Piper, my light brown bantam leghorn who got burned by a heat lamp (I believe) this winter. I would like to take her to fair this year again but as you can see her feathers are pretty messed up... I have learned my lesson on heat lamps but that has passed and now I am wondering about her feathers.

As you can see its on her wing in her secondaries mainly but a few in the primaries. Do I pull them and if I should how often and how many? Or should I just wait until she molts them out this winter and forget about taking her to fair? (I might take her anyway just to show her off even if it is a DQ which I'm not positive it is)

damage while her wing is normal

Damage when wing is out

the small bit of damage to the primaries (primary coverts? not sure, the smaller ones)

I would just let her molt. You probably wouldn't let another hen pick at her so why would you. I am sure it would be stressful.

While a fully plucked feather should spur regrowth right away....I would not do it, but I don't show birds.
Are you involved in 4H....maybe a leader there could advise you directly regarding the judging criteria??
Might depend on the contest you are entering and whether it's about showmanship or perfectly plumed pure breed birds.

While a fully plucked feather should spur regrowth right away....I would not do it, but I don't show birds.
Are you involved in 4H....maybe a leader there could advise you directly regarding the judging criteria??
Might depend on the contest you are entering and whether it's about showmanship or perfectly plumed pure breed birds.
I am in 4H and have a meeting this week so I'll ask my leader and some of the members about it. My friend raises and shows light brown leggy bantams too (he has a breeding project while she was just a random egg we hatched from a friend) so I am questioning showing her already because he is improving his line, though last year I almost beat him for 1st place in the breed.

And at fair its about the quality of the bird and the overall appearance (and how close they are to the standard) and I believe this would at very least dock her some points, but who knows :)

Back
Top Bottom