Do I put cooked egg yolks in my chicks feed?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by SomeHotChicks, Apr 30, 2017.

1. SomeHotChicks

SomeHotChicks Out Of The Brooder

Apr 30, 2017
    Oregon
    My Coop
    I heard that you can stick cooked egg yolk in your baby chicks feed along with some fish oil but not much because of it causing diarrhea, for the first week of they're young lives. I feel a little weird about it but at the same time it kinda makes a little sense I know they need protein. We are getting them organic starter feed and chick scratch, we was just curious if we need to give them a mix of the yolk and fish oil and feed for the first week for extra energy? Thank you for any extra tips or tricks your can help us with.
    -Kim
    [​IMG]

2. Pyxis

Pyxis Hatchaholic Extrordinaire Premium Member

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    You don't need to give them anything except chick feed. I wouldn't give them scratch, that does not have the nutrients they need to grow. Plus, they would also need grit to digest it. A little as a treat if you are providing grit would be fine.

Scrambled egg or egg yolk can be fed as a treat that they really enjoy, but again, you don't need to be mixing it into their feed. And I would skip the fish oil entirely.

2 people like this.
  3. SomeHotChicks

SomeHotChicks Out Of The Brooder

Apr 30, 2017
    Oregon
    My Coop
    Thanks you so much. We read so much and everyone says something different. We want the best for them. so just the chick starter and grit when we start to feed them treats? I like to have some kind of treat for them when so when we pet or hold them, they are clam and like us more. lol
    -Aryn

4. Folly's place

Folly's place Chicken Obsessed

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    Baby chicks need a good fresh (see mill date on label) chick starter, and fresh water. Maybe an electrolyte added to the water for a very few days if they are stressed from long shipping times. That's it! Don't overcomplicate things, you will only unbalance their diet, and have more issues. If they are out with a broody hen, they need grit; same if you just have to add other stuff to their diet. Mary

2 people like this.
  5. Red5

Red5 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 8, 2017
    While we're on this topic I have a question I'd like to throw in here. Got some peas in the garden and I've been contemplating picking a few of the leaves and seeing if my 5 weekers will eat them. Thoughts?

6. Folly's place

Folly's place Chicken Obsessed

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    My birds liked the peas and didn't eat the leaves. I don't know, but if the chicks are confined, offer some clover, grass (NO HERBICIDES!), lambs quarters, dandelines, all edibles for sure. And grit. Mary

7. Red5

Red5 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 8, 2017
    Thank you Mary. I do have an abundance of clover as well as dandelions. I'm not familiar with lambs quarters but will do some researching as it is likely here as well. I did pick up roughly 1,000 night crawlers Saturday night which will be treating my chickies for weeks to come. They absolutely go nuts over fishing worms.

8. song of joy

song of joy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2012
    Central Pennsylvania
    In addition to an organic, non-GMO chick starter/grower, I give my chicks mashed, scrambled eggs (not just the yolk) twice a week until they're 4-6 weeks old. I do this as a protein and vitamin supplement, as the chick starter-grower is only 18% protein and I'm raising heritage, dual-purpose breeds which benefit from higher protein levels.

9. lazy gardener

lazy gardener True BYC Addict

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    Scrambled egg is a nice protein supplement. But I'd not mix it into their crumble. Just give it to them separate, and be sure to remove any they don't eat after an hour or two. I'd skip the fish oil.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by