Do i put insulation in the coop?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by ragerkid2, Jul 16, 2011.

1. ragerkid2

ragerkid2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2011
    Johnstown Pa
    My dad asked my uncle who has chickens and he said no. I read that you should... I live in western Pa. And it gets below Zero often in the winter. Thoughts are greatly appreciated!

2. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Some say yes; some say no. It really comes down to what you want in a coop and how much money you're willing to spend. I'm happy that I insulated both my coops. I have windows, so they allow the coop to heat up nicely during the day (well...you know...if 30s and 40s is considered nice...lol), and the insulation helps retain that built up heat for a longer period. Same in the summer - it helps the nightly cools last longer into the morning/afternoon. But if you don't have windows, then the only real benefit I see is if you think you'll ever be running a heat lamp or something similar out there. Any heat would go right through the ceiling/roof without insulation. All I can say is that I'm glad my coops are insulated.

3. savingpurple

savingpurple Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2011
    NW Ohio
    My same question many weeks ago, as I live in NW Ohio. One person mentioned that insulation can cause mice to get in and nest in it. My coop was just built, so it is pretty well buttoned up tight. Will at least insulate the roof. May do the walls too??? depends on money. Need to do the outdoor run for this summer. See how the funds go by fall?

Good luck on whatever you decide. Oh,and I did have a person in northern MI tell me to not be foolish and insulate. So, make a choice that suits you. That's my opinion....no right or wrong answer?

4. ragerkid2

ragerkid2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2011
    Johnstown Pa
    Im thinking on doing it, but my dad still doesn't want top. He said if there is no heat in the winter, then there is no reason to insulate it cuz it wont hold anything in. Maybe some other people will chime in.

5. Bammy

Bammy Out Of The Brooder

Jan 16, 2010
    Snow Shoe, PA.
    I live in Centre County PA and we insulated the walls and ceiling and very glad I did. I used a heat lamp on really cold nights and between that and the chickens giving off heat, the temps went no lower than 33 degrees all winter. With the cooling off at night now, and keeping the door shut till noon or so, it stays quite nice in the coop. Our 12 x 14 ft. coop has 2x4 walls, batt insulation and covered in paneling. In our small 5 x 8 coop, we used foam panel insulation and covered the walls with 1/4" paneling. I recommend insulation!

6. Ole rooster

Ole rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2011
    Milner, Georgia
    I put R-13 in my walls today. R-19 will go in the ceiling. I have a vent the length of the coop, 8 feet, and 3 windows and the exit door. With the heat we're having here I just don't see how you can go wrong with insulation. If mice get into the walls, they are going to have to chew their way in. Everything is snug and tight.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2011
  7. karlamaria

karlamaria Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2011
    Western montana
    We insulated the whole coop ,the ceiling and the pop door. Also the nest boxes ( there out side boxes we open to get eggs) only problem is once the nest boxes were insulated it took up to much space and we lost 4 inches. We are going to have to rectify this soon, in the mean time we put nesting boxes below them. We are not taking any chances with how bad winters can get here, some times 30 to 40 below ! We also plan on hooking a heat lamp up, and adding heaters to the nipple buckets to keep water from freezing. ( the. Heat lamps may help with the water being Unfrozen lol . Better safe then sorry when the snow flys. Do. Not want to find out to late we did not do things right and my chickens are going to freeze. Now to get the run fixed better so they can go out and we can keep the snow out of the run.

8. WestfarthingHomestead

WestfarthingHomestead Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2011
    Alaska
    Alaska here and we're going to insulate. But, you know, it can be done for cheap and easy with recyclable materials.[​IMG]

9. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Keeping one's coop in the 30's and 40's in the winter is a choice some folks make.

We choose not to. Instead, we keep hardy birds. Chickens have been domesticated for 3000+ years and kept in cold climates for most of that time. Our American forebears bred most of the popular breeds we enjoy today in New England, Ohio and Upstate New York without the benefit of electricity or insulation.

It's a choice. Your uncle has obviously kept chickens without insulation/heat and he gave you his experienced opinion.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2011
  10. Ole rooster

Ole rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2011
    Milner, Georgia
    Absolutely. I agree with Fred for sure. It all up to the builder/owner of the coop. But I do believe yester years chickens were not called "pets" as many are today. Hardy is what my Grandmother would call it also. But then if a chicken acted like it was backing of the laying, or whatever, she would ring off it head and fry it. Not many pets in those days.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by