Do i rake and ean or let it compost?

dianefbarfield

Chirping
Apr 15, 2022
I have a big chicken run (35 × 15). It is covered in natural growth, dandelions, assorted stuff. We add leaves and straw. Do I ever need to rake and clean it or just let the droppings mix in and compost naturally? Of course I clean the coop and put the bedding in one corner of the run and I use special boots in the run that are only used there so no worries about tracking poop anywhere.

I personally don’t. I just put more stuff on top of everything all ready there. I know some people to take out the poo and old flooring, which if that’s what you want to do it’s perfectly fine. I’ve found that if I add layers to my flooring it attracts different bugs (like worms, beetles, etc) which my chickens like to dig up and eat.

There is no reason to clean out your run the way you are doing it, unless you want some black gold to use, then take some out. I would highly suggest adding wood chips(tree trimming chips) making it at least 3 - 4 inches to start and keep mixing in your other stuff. As it starts to break down, add more chips and stuff. The poop will dry out and break down along with everything else in the run. The chickens will have a place to scratch for bugs, dust bath in and it shouldn't stink or draw flies, as long as you add stuff as needed when it breaks down. This system works well in a covered or uncovered run.

This is a picture of my old run. I had just thrown in garden and yard waste.
20171126_121131.jpg

You only really *need* to rake it out if you want to harvest the compost, if the thickness has built up to the point of being inconvenient, or you develop an odor problem that isn't solved by adding a few inches of additional litter. :)

If you find that the chickens aren't stirring it up well enough so that the litter is packing and matting (straw can have this issue), or if it's migrating downhill too far, a little work with a pitchfork to release the mats and a few handfuls of scratch scattered around usually fixes the problem but if the mats are very bad and have either gone moldy or developed anaerobic pockets you might need to take them out.

You only really *need* to rake it out if you want to harvest the compost, if the thickness has built up to the point of being inconvenient, or you develop an odor problem that isn't solved by adding a few inches of additional litter. :)

If you find that the chickens aren't stirring it up well enough so that the litter is packing and matting (straw can have this issue), or if it's migrating downhill too far, a little work with a pitchfork to release the mats and a few handfuls of scratch scattered around usually fixes the problem but if the mats are very bad and have either gone moldy or developed anaerobic pockets you might need to take them out.
Silly related question: if I want to keep food out of the coop, and don’t want to attract mice, is it still ok to throw a bit of scratch in the deep bedding or is it not necessary?

Silly related question: if I want to keep food out of the coop, and don’t want to attract mice, is it still ok to throw a bit of scratch in the deep bedding or is it not necessary?

When you're throwing the scratch into the bedding to get the chickens to stir it up you only use as much as the chickens will eat before they lose interest in digging.

For 20-some birds I scatter about half a soup can in about an 10x10 area.

I think it really depends on your preference and location. How far does your flock spread the coop materials?

If you add dry material throughout the run and refresh it as it breaks down then you may have some deep litter in there and you’ll probably have to clean it out eventually. The bedding does make a good addition to your compost pile. If there’s a lot of poop all over then I would add something to cover it so your chickens aren’t constantly walking around in it. Also, some sort of bedding helps with flies.

Do I ever need to rake and clean it or just let the droppings mix in and compost naturally?

I started off with a nice grassy chicken run, but it did not take but a few months before my chickens ripped up all the grass and I had nothing but dirt left. At that time, I dumped a few inches of wood chips into the run. I did not want a muddy mess if it rained.

The wood chips worked fine, but after a short period of time I decided to turn my chicken run into a composting system, where I dump all my grass clippings, weeds from the lawn and garden, all our leaves, and just about anything else organic into the run.

The only time I do anything with the chicken run compost litter is when I harvest some of the compost. Other than that, the chickens will scratch and peck the litter, turning it over and mixing it up, making great compost for my gardens.

The chicken poo should naturally disappear into your grass, wood chips, or composting system. If it does not, then you would have to make some adjustments.

Of course I clean the coop and put the bedding in one corner of the run and I use special boots in the run that are only used there so no worries about tracking poop anywhere.

It's good practice to have work boots that you take off when you get to the house. Mothers and wives don't much like chicken poo in the living room carpet! Well, come to think of it, neither do I....

Back
Top Bottom