Do I really have to increase humidity and lock down on day 18?

CanadaEh

Songster
May 31, 2018
Canada
Our eggs were initially at 50-55% RH for first 6-7 days. After candling and realizing there is almost no air cell growth, I decreased RH to 40% and it did not help much, then to 26% (with no water at the bottom of incubator at all). It is day 18 now and air cells is still not where they suppose to be size wise. The embryos are still floating within eggs and do not look like they are any close to hatching size.

Do I really need to increase humidity to 65-70 and lockdown at day 18 or should I keep it dry for a few more days to allow further air cell growth for as long as they not close to pipping?

Is the only reason for increased humidity at day 18 is the possibility of pipping and membrane almost instantly drying and shrink wrapping the chick at low humidity, but they are safe at low humidity past day 18 for as long as they not pipping?

You don't have to do it on day 18. You should just have enough humidity when they start external pipping to prevent the shrink wrap. You may only need to go up to about 45% on day 20 as there will be a lot of humidity contributed by the eggs once they start hatching. Just do not open the incubator without high humidity till hatching is complete.
I would keep it bone dry for another 2 days with intermittent venting to try and get more moisture out.
You learned a valuable lesson. When you discover they need to lose more weight like at your first candling, dry it out completely. Day to day humidity doesn't matter. Total weight loss is what matters. Humidity varies dramatically in the environment that a hen can't control.

You do need to lock down. 60% is a lot, even for lockdown. Having it at 40% should be ok unless you notice any complications. Also, when they start popping they humidity level will rise due to the goop in the eggs. If they are getting stuck in the shell with sticky goop or the membrane is drying out, it’s time to raise the humidity. Can you post a picture of you candling the egg in a dark room?

Last edited:
Did you use a calibrated thermometer? If your chicks look to small your temp was probably low. I do 35 percent he first 18 days and then 50-55 humidity at lockdown. I hope your babies make it!

If they are getting stuck in the shell with sticky goop or the membrane is drying out, it’s time to raise the humidity. Can you post a picture of you candling the egg in a dark room?
I rather not to wait for that. Pictures attached (sorry not the best pictures). Just starting day 19 now. 20200208_190356.jpg 20200208_190425.jpg 20200208_190448.jpg 20200208_190518.jpg 20200208_190523.jpg

ps: 2nd and 3rd pictures are showing the pointy end

I rescued some eggs from a broody guinea mom and her eggs had air cells that were smaller than that. They draw down when the chick internally pips. Mine hatched fine. I think yours should be ok. You might have to do a safety hole in some of them but they should be fine.

Back
Top Bottom