Do I really need a ramp?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by chics in the sun, May 23, 2010.

1. chics in the sun

chics in the sun Songster

Apr 1, 2010
    St.Petersburg
    This is how I built my open hot-weather coop. I was going to put a ramp up to the roost area, but it's a bit steeper than expected. So now I think I'll just put a little box they can sort of hop onto and then hop into the roost/ loft area. The box was orinignally going to be the nesting boxes, but now I am expanding the run area on the the right side and placing them at the end of it so I can have a few more chickens, of course. Anyway, my BF insists we should put a ramp instead of a "stair" type arrangement, but that means I would have to take it in and out to clean and I'm just not sure that they would want to use it with it being so steep. What do you all think? The leghorn already just flys up to the loft on her own, and I'm pretty sure the PR could, too, if she so desired or remebered it was up there. I've never seen the BR fly that high, but they are all only 9 weeks old. I'm also getting an Ameraucauna and a Marans - could they make it up the three and a half feet without a ramp?
    [​IMG]

2. chics in the sun

Apr 1, 2010
    St.Petersburg
    Anybody? And if I do need a ramp, any suggestions on dealing with it being so steep would be most welcome.

3. I'm no expert, total noob actually... but to cut down on the steep could you maybe make it like a staircase. Where it bends at the corner? I'm picturing something like this http://www.parsjoinery.co.uk/Staircase_new_drawing/s-w-6.jpg maybe where it starts to the right side (but not blocking the door) and then corners to a straitaway to the door?

Don't know how much sense that makes, but it would cut the angle without taking a lot of floor space?

4. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

I think you're going to need a ramp of some kind for that. Pineapple mama had a good suggestion. I'd been thinking of a ramp that started under the shelter area up toward the doorway, connected to another ramp going the other way up to the boxed area. Of course it would have to have legs. I'm sure that was a very confusing discription...lol. But I can see it in my head.

5. chics in the sun

Apr 1, 2010
    St.Petersburg
    I'm working on trying to picture it, too. Would it come up to the entrance of the loft at an angle (perpendicular, along the front, not angled directly down)? Did that make ANY sense?

Last edited: May 23, 2010
  6. kidcallous

kidcallous Chirping

May 14, 2010
    Central Florida
    Yes, I agree. You could start the ramp actually underneath the nesting box, and then switch back like a staircase. This would essentially involve adding a sort of platform near the opening. Lets see....
    _
    _
    ___
    _
    _

well that looks more like a fighter jet. But the general idea is there.. hahaha

7. illegal avian

illegal avian Cooped up

Apr 21, 2010
    Third World, Texas
    Quote:Exactly my first thought on the "L" ... or, make it come back parallel on itself like a staircase in a building... picture escalator at the mall... but I wouldn't worry about motorizing the steps or anything... in that case you might as well make an elevator... but then again, what if they get off at the wrong floor... can chickens even read?

8. I thought about the under idea too, but getting the height and all right so chickies could get through to the other would take some doing, and it'd be a devil to install since you'd have to climb under there to do it... but it would be space saving.

If it was me... well I'd prolly cheat a bit. Have a 2x12 bit the width of the loft attached to those posts via shelf brackets, at a slope appx halfway down. Then from there I'd attach the other ramp to that first one, prolly cheat and use a gate/door hinge (so that you can lift it up and clean beneath when needed) and run that piece to the ground, OR close enough they can hop up.

You can then use that rounded baseboard stuff to make 'steps' OR even use a Dado blade to make grooves every ... what 4" or so?

Leastways that's the pic that popped into my head. I'm sure a carpenter would look on in horror.

9. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

LOL...okay....I seriously did this. Hold your hands and forearms out in front of you in "karate chop" formation. Place the pinky area of your left hand (still held in karate chop position...lol) into the crease or your right arm, with your right hand and forearm angled up, pointing toward the left. So there would have to be a pivot joint (although of course it could be stationary and wouldn't need to pivot) at the point where your left hand meets your right elbow joint. Is that convoluted or what???? But it would seriously decrease the ramp angle. And of course as I said, it would need legs.

10. kidcallous

kidcallous Chirping

May 14, 2010
    Central Florida
    ...OR, you could cut an "access hole" in the floor at the far side of the box, and then your ramp wouldnt be as steep...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by