1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login, otherwise join BYC here!

Do I really need an egg turner?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by mmajw, May 12, 2008.

1. mmajw

mmajw Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2008
    Maine
    Do I really need an egg turner for my bator? Or can I turn them by hand daily?

2. Myst4

Myst4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2008
    N.S., Canada
    Quote:I didn't have one..I just turned them by hand...3 times a day.

3. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

You dont need one. You can turn them by hand. Turn them and odd number of times daily.

4. equine chick

equine chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2007
    pennsylvania
    If you are able to be home all day and able to turn then great. The way My schedule is at work, it was well worth the 40 dollars or so.

5. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    You might not, but I sure do! My life is so busy, there is no way I would remember to turn those eggs 3 or 4 times a day. The extra $40 it costs for an egg turner was worth it to me! If you have the time and brain to remember to turn them everyday (I lack both!) than you don't need one. [​IMG]

6. mmajw

Jan 31, 2008
    Maine
    I am putting the bator right near my computer so I can remember to turn them. I work from home so I am definately here enough to do it.

Is there a fire hazzard with having it in the house though?

My DH is a Fire Fighter and he was concerned about that.

7. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    I have one incubator that I hand turn the eggs 3 times a day...you don't have to be home to do that, you can work out a schedule...just turn an odd number of times...I do mine 3 times a day, morning, afternoon and late evenings...

I enjoy the hand turning....I also have a bator with turner and both incubators have a high hatching rate, I see no difference.....

8. Myst4

Myst4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2008
    N.S., Canada
    Quote:I have mine in the house....have had no problems at all. I don't think it's a fire hazzard,personally.

9. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    Both my incubators are in my kitchen...no fire hazard....surge protector is a good idea ......

10. mmajw

Jan 31, 2008
    Maine
    Thanks for the replys, this is our first time hatching and we are a little nervous. The kids are so excited.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by