Do I really need heat?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Connorrm, Mar 26, 2012.

1. Connorrm

Connorrm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    Capital District, NY
    My chicks are three weeks old today (well yesterday). There's 18 orphingtons, do they need heat in their draft free coop if it's 40-50 at night or will the 18 of them keep each other toasty?

2. Judy

Judy Chicken Obsessed Staff Member Premium Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Hmm, this is really a matter of opinion. If I tried it, I'd be sure they had a nice fluffy pile of hay or whatever to snuggle into. I've had 3 week old chicks try their best to get away from the heat lamp, causing me to turn it off, in that kind of weather -- but they had been outdoors since day one. If these have been indoors under a heat lamp, they might have trouble.

3. chicklover16

chicklover16 queen of flirts

Jun 3, 2011
    Em's Dungeon
    turn it off and watch the chicks behavior, if they crowd together and shiver than they need the lamp, if they keep walking around and playing as normal then they are fine.

4. Connorrm

Apr 27, 2011
    Capital District, NY
    Yes they have been they've been in the garage (about 45-55 degrees) with a 150 watt heat lamp. They don't really pay attention to it.

I plan on keeping the banties inside another three weeks. There's only 10 of them. But they aren't half as feathered as the orphingtons.

5. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    I've had 3 week chicks out in coop (pine chip bedding) with lows of 45-50 F. No heat no problem.

6. Connorrm

Apr 27, 2011
    Capital District, NY
    Okay I will give it a shot. they're literally making a disgusting mess of their brooder. Just too many this time around. Plus it's getting hard with them crowding the darn feeder so much. Thanks all!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by