??? Do I Remove Chick From Egg Or Not, UPDATED PICTURES ???

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Yoda, Oct 29, 2010.

1. Yoda

Yoda Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2010
    Shady Hills, FL
    Two days ago I decided to finally to candle the eggs in the bator. [​IMG] They are due to hatch this weekend. The last egg I candled I dropped and it bounced off of everything on it's way to the floor [​IMG] I couldn't catch it no matter how hard I tried. [​IMG] I was so angry at myself and the egg lost most of the it's shell. [​IMG] I did remember reading that there needs to be an air hole for the chick to breathe so I made one [​IMG] Well today is the second day going onto the third and the chick is still alive [​IMG] and chirping inside the "Head On Crashed" egg. [​IMG] Do I remove it from the egg or wait til the others hatch. The others are pipping? You know starting to crack the egg LMAO! [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 30, 2010
  2. Yoda

Jul 7, 2010
    Shady Hills, FL
    Forgot to post the picture of the egg. The chicks beak is on the top right.

[​IMG]

another one

[​IMG]

3. sheila3935

sheila3935 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    Stonington, illinois
    Oh boy I dont know maybe someone else her will be able to tell you. What worries me is that it doesnt have a shell keep the humidily higher so it wont dry out. That is what scares me is it getting to dry. Hopefully someone can give better advice. [​IMG] I hope it hatches and everything is ok.

4. popcornpuppy

popcornpuppy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2009
    Holland, Massachusetts
    Let the chick hatch on its own. If you try to force it out too soon it may not fully absorb the yolk sac and die from a hurniated umbilical cord that bleeds too much. Give it time and it should make it out of the shell on its own when its ready [​IMG]

5. Yoda

Jul 7, 2010
    Shady Hills, FL
    Thanks guys! I will wait and see. The humidity is high currently at 74%
    Got one that just hatched, [​IMG] looks black but it was marked "mystery egg" so I have no clue as of yet what kind of chick it is LOL The rest are giant cochins including the shell-less egg [​IMG]

6. perolane

perolane Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2010
    Louisiana
    Keep an eye on the membrane...without the shell, it can dry out & get leathery pretty quickly. I would wrap the entire egg in a lightly dampened paper towel leaving the chick's beak (and surrounding area) exposed. Good luck!

7. Sooner

Sooner My kids Mom!

Mar 22, 2009
    Oklahoma
    I wonder if a wet papertowle wrapped around it might be helpful to keep it moist. I can't wait to see how this turns out. I also agree that you need to wait for the chick to hatch on it's own.

8. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    If you open the incubator to work on this one, there is a chance you will shrink-wrap others. If you wrap it in a damp paper towel, the paper towel can get in the way of its hatching, but I'd really expect others that have already hatched to play rugby with the paper towel and unwrap it. I know you feel guilty and feel like you have to do something, but I'd leave it alone and see what happens.

I shrink-wrapped one once when I opened the incubator during the hatch. It had pipped so it could breath but never got any further. It was still alive after all the others hatched. I found it when I took the others out. I soaked it in a cup of warm water for a very few seconds (not the head but the rest) and peeled the membrane and shell off, then put it back in the incubator to keep it warm while it dried off. The down was matted down for a few days but it lived and did fine.

Good luck! I know this one is hard on you.

9. Yoda

Jul 7, 2010
    Shady Hills, FL
    it's hatching! It's hatching!

10. Yoda

Jul 7, 2010
    Shady Hills, FL
    ok it hatched but the chick so far cannot straighten itself out. it is still the compressed to the shape of the egg. In other words it is lying on the mesh in a ball as if it was still in the egg [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by