Do I remove the Rooster from the pen when the hen starts sitting on the eggs

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by cocopop, Jul 23, 2013.

1. cocopop

cocopop Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2013
    California
    Do I remove the Rooster from the pen when the hen starts sitting on the eggs? Also the nesting box is up 5ft in the hen house house. Do I need to bring the nesting box down or will the chicks be ok up in the hen house once they hatch. There is a ladder but I just want to know what is best. thanks! I am just worried that she won't sit on the eggs if I move the nest box down to the ground

2. Mickey Lou 04

Mickey Lou 04 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2013
    Usually you seperate the hen into a brood area. The area needs to be flat with nothing tall, with nothing but a nest food and water. Make sure that if the food and water spills that it won't end up in the nest. That way she won't abandon the eggs and the other birds won't kick her out or harm the eggs and chicks.​

3. Majd

Majd Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2012
    You can lock the nest by a wire to prevent other chickens from laying with her or bullying her... and you should let her out daily to eat and drink and poop and take a dust bath... then in 30 min she will return to her nest then lock her up.... it's better to let her out in the afternoon when the other chickens have finished laying so they won't bother her or lay on her eggs.... and mark the incubated eggs with a pencil so u can know them.. and you can block the entrance of the nest box with anything stable other than wire...and when the hatchinh day arrives the chicks won't fall that way and you can remove them when they all hatch..

4. cocopop

cocopop Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2013
    California
    Thanks for the good ideas! I will block the hen house entrance with wood tall enough for the chick can't get out but the hen can fly over to get in or out of the hen house when it gets close to hatching time.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by