Do I seal and incubate cracked egg? (HOT MESS)

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by merc, Mar 22, 2018.

1. merc

merc Songster

Jun 7, 2012
    Redmond, WA
    My Coop
    Knowing full well that buying shipped eggs is a huge gamble I bought eggs off of eBay anyway and all arrived safe except for one. I paid a stupid amount for these eggs so instead of admitting defeat and cutting my losses (like I should have) I did a little research and found posts suggesting there was still hope if I sealed the cracked egg with candle wax or tape or something. I thought "Why not try a teeny tiny smidge of super glue (gel)? After all, super glue was invented to help seal wounds during WW2. Why not seal a cracked egg? Why hasn't anyone ever tried or posted about this before?" Hope is such a wicked trick of the mind. Heh! :p

Cracked egg day of arrival:
    [​IMG]

Cracked egg sealed w/ super glue 6 days into incubation:
    [​IMG]

When I candled the egg I saw a mysterious dark glob, which I mistakenly thought was some sort or progress or development so I opted to keep the egg in the incubator:
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

This is what I found the next day:
    [​IMG]

The cracked egg exploded. :( Luckily the stank goo didn't get all over the other eggs, but it did get all over the incubator. It literally was a HOT MESS! I had to temporarily relocate the rest of the eggs and clean out the now super stinky incubator. I am hoping the short disruption doesn't negatively affect the development of the other eggs. I just wanted to make sure to share this experience for anyone considering sealing a cracked egg and proceeding with incubation.

BiggJohnn, Cyprus, oregonkat and 2 others like this.
  2. Ruralhideaway

Ruralhideaway Crowing

Sep 21, 2017
    Upstate NY
    I have one cooking that I sealed right now, feeling like I'd best candle that one again tonight!

Cyprus and ChickNanny13 like this.
  3. tootmany

tootmany Songster

Mar 14, 2018
    SD
    I hope the other eggs hatch alright for you :(

Cyprus, merc and ChickNanny13 like this.
  4. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Crossing the Road

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE zone 4B
    I've tried, but never succeeded hatching a cracked egg. The one chick that did start to develop adhered to the crack and then died.

ChickNanny13 likes this.
  5. merc

merc Songster

Jun 7, 2012
    Redmond, WA
    My Coop
    Also FYI the post-explosion fissures weren't where I had sealed the shell so it wasn't a matter of I didn't seal the crack good enough. Bad stuff must have already made it's way into the egg via the crack and found it's own way out through other weak spots in the shell.

oregonkat likes this.
  6. FarmMom2Many

FarmMom2Many In the Brooder

Dec 29, 2017
    Shady Shores, TX
    Ouch! Thanks for sharing your experience. So sorry that happened :(

7. buterflysbeauty

buterflysbeauty Chirping

Feb 13, 2017
    Oh no! I sealed several eggs out if this current shipment with candle wax but they all quit early. I was JUST about to post a question about cracked eggs when I saw yours! My toddler bumped my arm when candeling and I dropped this poor girl. Lock down is this Sunday and she was dancing a couple days ago. We patched the whole thing with scotch tape and figured we would just keep an eye on her. Good news is when she hatches she won't have much work to do to get out!

Attached Files:

Cyprus and merc like this.
  8. merc

merc Songster

Jun 7, 2012
    Redmond, WA
    My Coop
    keep us posted on the tape job! i really hope he/she pulls through!

BiggJohnn likes this.
  9. buterflysbeauty

buterflysbeauty Chirping

Feb 13, 2017
    Candled again tonight to check on her and she was moving about so fingers crossed!

Ruralhideaway likes this.
  10. Ruralhideaway

Ruralhideaway Crowing

Sep 21, 2017
    Upstate NY
    I have a live one with a crack also. Sealed with newskin and going to add candle wax tonight to try to control the big aircell development. Hopefully there'll be a better outcome than the eggslosion.

merc likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: