do I see check tufts on this chick?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by shannondee12, Nov 14, 2013.

1. shannondee12

shannondee12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2013
    Left Hand, WV
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    My aunt gave me 6 eggs for eating but I put them in the incubator instead (My name is Shannon and I have an incubator addiction)
    These adorable little buggers are one week old. I know that she has blue eggs so she has an easter egger in her flock but none of these chicks came from blue eggs, all brown and white. Is it possible that the one that appears to have puffy cheeks could be an easter egger without coming from a blue egg? That might be a stupid question but chicken genetics are something that I haven't even started to understand yet. I know the dark one came from a dominecker mixed with rir but the other 2 are a complete guess. I did feather sexing and the puffy checked one seems to be a boy while the other 2 are girls.

2. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Yes, some Easter Eggers come from brown eggs. I think there is a very good chance that the puffy cheeked one is a Easter Egger.

3. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    X2 EEs can come from brown eggs and some lay brown eggs. Also wonder if she has an EE/ameraucana rooster maybe?

4. shannondee12

Mar 8, 2013
    Left Hand, WV
    I am going to go have a look. When I asked her what kind she had, she said Brown ones, red ones, white ones and a dominecker. Lol

5. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Easter Eggers can come from brown eggs; most EEs lay blue/green eggs, but by definition, they are considered EEs as long as they lay colored eggs (so brown, green, blue, pink, etc.). I bet that the fluffy cheeked one is an Easter Egger.

6. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    When I've mixed my Easter eggers, the puffy cheek genes seem to carry down longer than the dark leg genes or the colored egg genes. I have straight combed, yellow or white legged birds (roosters so I don't know what color egg they'd lay) with nice puffy cheeks.

I don't think that little dark bird had any Dominique/barred blood. If it did, it would have a white head spot, indicating barring. Unless the Dom was the female, and the male was solid colored, which would mean it's a sex link female.

7. shannondee12

Mar 8, 2013
    Left Hand, WV

Thanks for the info. The dark ones feathers are coming in with a barred pattern although the coloring is a dusty red and grey barring. . If I were to keep the ee boy and bred it to an ee female, would they eggs be a brighter color? is it a gene that would be passed on to a non ee laid egg?

8. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I don't know about the egg color, but I don't think you're seeing true barring on that bird. Genetically, a barred chick will have a head spot at hatch. I think what you're seeing is juvenile partridge-type pattern, that often mimics barring at this time. Regardless, I'll bet it's a pretty bird!

9. shannondee12

Mar 8, 2013
    Left Hand, WV
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Thought I would update on the dark chick. I tried to get a picture of the feathers coming in and also, my other 2 have dark feathers coming in also.

10. Lady of McCamley

Lady of McCamley Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2011
    NW Oregon

Pretty babies. :D
    I agree that is not barring on the darker chick but just juvenile partridge patterning...and yes EE in the mix.

Be prepared to see a lot of color and pattern changes in your mutts. I've had mutts change almost weekly until they get their mature adult feathers. Check out my photos in my June hatch to see what I mean...wow what a difference!

Have fun with your new hatchlings. They'll likely just lay brown eggs, but I enjoy my mutts a lot. They are hardy and healthy and lay well....all those wonderful mutt mix genes giving hybrid hardiness.

...and yes...I understand your incubator addiction only mine is with Broody hens...Lord help me if one goes broody I've got eggs under before I know it whether I need more chicks or not :p

Lady of McCamley

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by