Do I sitck it out or find new homes for the roo's?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by SassyKat6181, Jun 5, 2011.

1. SassyKat6181

SassyKat6181 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2010
    Western Mass
    I got 4 RIR roos with my duck order. I picked up 12 new RIR pullets for them a few days later. They are 11 weeks now. It seems as though there are only 3 roos though and each has his own group of girls. The problem I am having is that 2 of the roos attack me whenever I am in the run or coop. This will NOT be tolerated. I always wear pants and my tall boots, so I haven't been hurt. BUT.....I have spent a lot of time with my 12, 9 month old hens and the ducks, who are very friendly and I take my 3 yr old son in there with me. I do not want birds that are going to attack him also. (they have left him alone so far). It's not just pecking my boots, they jump at me with their feet. I then kick them back, not too hard, but enough to let them know I am the boss. Are they challenging me because I am #1 with the other birds? I love having the cockadoodledoo back on the farm, but not at the expense of safety. Anyone with advice, please chime in......thanks!

2. SassyKat6181

Aug 30, 2010
    Western Mass
    anyone?

3. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    Get rid of any human aggressive roos. They will never change and will eventually make a pass at your child. I had an aggressive RIR roo that I kept in line until the day he saw my 6 y.o. daughter behind me. He decided it was a good idea to go through me to get to her. I ended up having to beat that bird off me with a stick. Literally. I was absolutely terrified that he was going to manage to get around me and get to her. He had already been slated for the stew pot due to his aggression. He just went there a bit sooner than originally planned.

Good luck with yours.

4. Mrs. K

Mrs. K Overrun With Chickens

Nov 12, 2009
    western South Dakota
    I agree with above post. A 6 year old child is much bigger than a 3 year old child, and she was still vulnerable. I personally think that if you have small children, you should wait to have roo's. Roosters can ruin the whole chicken experience for a child for life.

They are giving you a warning that they are going to get much worse.

MrsK

5. SassyKat6181

Aug 30, 2010
    Western Mass
    Thanks everyone! We had a Bantam Cochin rooster and he was the lovliest, friendliest bird we ever had, until a stray cat got in the barn and had him for supper. [​IMG] This flock is under lock and key and the run is fenced and netted. The roos were never part of the plan, as I stated, they were packing peanuts. One has just begun to crow, but they are also getting aggressive. Is there a type of roo that is more friendly, so we can enjoy the crow again?

6. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    Any roo is a risk to young children unless they are penned up. You never know what you are going to get until you try them out. RIR roos are notorious for being overly aggressive, though.

I have to say that my experience with hatchery RIRs has been a nightmare. I have culled all the RIRs I got last year- one horrible roo, one biting pullet and one feather picking pullet that could not be stopped. It was a shame to have to cull all those birds in the prime of their lives, but their behavioral problems had far overwhelmed any of their good points.

7. luvinrunnin

luvinrunnin Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2011
    I'd say to get a Serama rooster, but they are way smaller than regular egg layers and I wouldn't think it would be a good idea to put him in with them. Seramas have are very docile.

8. SassyKat6181

Aug 30, 2010
    Western Mass
    There's someone rehoming a Polish/Silkie cross roo on CL, says he's about 12 weeks and friendly.....are they friendly? I think I may just get rid of the roos and love my hens!

9. Bengalcats1

Bengalcats1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    I am so lucky with my roos right now, I have 3 cochin frizzles and a silkie and they are all dolls, I had a very mean roo bantam for yrs and put up with it, I would never put up with a mean one again, he attacked me every chance he got

10. SassyKat6181

Aug 30, 2010
    Western Mass
    Just placed an ad on my local CL to rehome the RIR's. Thanks everyone.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by