Do I still need a heat lamp?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by weslammey, Apr 1, 2015.

1. weslammey

weslammey Out Of The Brooder

Mar 31, 2015
    Buford,GA
    1 more quick question. This is my first time with chicks. I live near Atlanta,ga. The temps right now are highs in the upper 70's to 80 and lows in the mid 40's. I just moved these chicks to a little coop / run out of the garage. They are 7-8 weeks old. Do they still need a heat lamp at night? Since they are fully feathered.
    [​IMG]

2. Odelia

Odelia Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2014
    Idaho
    No they do not. They are just fine and don't need any help keeping warm at those temperature as long as they are dry.

3. weslammey

weslammey Out Of The Brooder

Mar 31, 2015
    Buford,GA
    Thank you

4. Spartan22

Spartan22 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2014
    North Canton, Ohio
    2x - good luck w your chickens!

5. deanmarz

deanmarz Out Of The Brooder

Sep 19, 2014
    Somerset, NJ
    My chicks are 3 weeks old and getting big. Can they go out in the barn without heat lamps? The day temps are 55F and 40F at night.

6. JanetMarie

JanetMarie Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 23, 2014
    Michiana
    No, they need to be older before taking their heat lamp away, and daytime temps need to be warmer.

7. deanmarz

Sep 19, 2014
    Somerset, NJ
    OK, but can I put them outside in a protected barn? They are getting too big for the box they are in right now. I will bring the heat lamp out and hang it over a corner of the pen.

Let me know what you thing of that.

8. AmericanMom

AmericanMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2013
    Oregon
    I live in Oregon, right now are temps are very close to yours. At 2 weeks I move chicks out of the brooder into a protected building with a small secure covered run

The only suggesting I would make is 1) make sure the barn or area you are moving them to is dry and 2) secure the heat lamp!! The ones you buy with the clamps are known to fail. Alittle wire goes along way.. Horror stories abound about heat lamps causing fires, but if you are careful you should be fine.

9. JanetMarie

JanetMarie Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 23, 2014
    Michiana
    Yes, that will work. More room is better for them, and the chicks will be able to find the heat source when needed.

10. deanmarz

Sep 19, 2014
    Somerset, NJ
    Great. Thank you for the advise.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by