1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Do I stop turning now? (ducks)

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by shelleyd2008, Jan 7, 2009.

1. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    These eggs aren't due till Monday, but I have a problem. When I first got them I thought they were call duck eggs, they were so small. Not the pekin, it's the same as the others I got from Jenny. The cayuga eggs are all smaller than the pekin egg, some are about half the size. I just candled them, and some of them have yellow spots in the air cell? When I hatched the two I got from Jenny before, they had yellow spots in the air cell near the end, and upon further inspection I noticed they had pipped the membrane. So I'm assuming these have done so as well. I did notice them pushing against the membrane when I candled yesterday, I just thought they were turning around in there.

So question #1) Does the yellow part inside the air cell mean they have pipped internally?

#2) should I stop turning them, even though they are technically due on Monday (5 more days).

#3) if they truly are cayugas, and do not hatch till Monday, will it affect them if I stop turning them today?

I'm just really thinking they are calls, since they only take 24 days. It is right now day 23.

What should I do??

2. CindyS

CindyS Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2008
    Geneseo, Illinois
    Calls usually take 26 or 27 days. Is the yellow you are seeing the bill? If so, they are pipped internally, which usually happens on day 25. Can you hear ticking? that is another sign they have internally pipped and yes you should stop turning. I have some standard ducks that lay a small egg, even though they are appleyard, ancona, and magpie breeding, if they are calls, they would be really tiny! My calls lay an egg the size of a bantam chicken!

3. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Some of these eggs are just a tiny bit bigger than my bantam hens eggs. The yellow is not the bill, it's almost like it is part of the yolk? I'll have to go and see if I hear any ticking, I didn't think of that.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by