Do I take the e-g-g-s out of the carton for the last 3 days?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Felicia, Apr 1, 2009.

1. Felicia

Felicia Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2009
    Michigan
    My e-g-g-s are just starting day 18. Can I leave the e-g-g-s in the carton, or do I need to take them out and put them on their side? I don't know what to do, and I don't want to hurt them by not doing the right thing.

Thanks!

(Sorry - I had to write e-g-g-s like that because otherwise it automatically changed it to rooster (why is it doing that?)

Last edited: Apr 1, 2009
  2. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm Premium Member

I've had much better results by putting them on there side but others have had the opposite results.

3. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

I hatch my e*ggs in a carton. On day 18 I move them to a carton with holes poked in the bottom. I use the cardboard egg cartons. I get better results, and the chick*s hatch out faster and seem to have an easier time doing so.

4. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm Premium Member

"why is it doing that?"

Look on the calender a minute an think about it lol

5. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    I put mine in cartons three days prior to hatching and let them hatch. See picture below and I have better results having cartons to have them hatch than rolling them around. After all, the momma hen does not let the eggs roll around under her.
    [​IMG]

6. spook

spook Chillin' With My Peeps

She has an automatic "helper" probably a spell check, when she types one thing, it will change it to the "proper words"
    You will need to have someone else explain how to fix it!!!

I have my eggs in cartons through all this incubation period and will place them in the normal carton. I've actually used the top of the egg box to lean the eggs one way, lean them another way and we will see how that works (BTW Sundowns eggs..sent 14 and still unsure about one egg, but 13 are veined)
    woohooo!

7. spook

I would assume using styrophoam would not allow enough oxygen to penetrate the shell.
    Do you poke holes in the bottom of your carton like Sundown commented on?

(This comes from a new incubator techniqes person- aka dumb- LOL)

8. WalkingWolf

WalkingWolf Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2009
    North Carolina
    I let mine hatch on their side in the hatcher(2nd LG). After their nap and they start to move around I move them to my DIY hatcher to bounce around, fluff up, and move around. This keeps the bumping of e g g s to a minimum. First 18 days are in e g g cartons. This works good for me as I now have e g g s hatching daily.

9. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    There are some air space around the eggs and those are bantam eggs I've used.

I've used them all sizes of eggs and never had a problem not hatching or pipping on the side of the walls.

There is no right and wrong about using cartons while incubating. Just throw out every carton you used after hatching. Paper is good as well because they absorb fluids, memberanes, sticky egg shells and etc.

10. spook

I get lost with the use of the word Rooster these days..

memberanes, sticky rooster shells and etc.

Aren't pullets and roo's hatching and why is it you choose the words rooster shells...?

This keeps the bumping of rooster to a minimum. First 18 days are in rooster cartons. This works good for me as I now have rooster hatching daily

What in the world is a rooster carton??

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by