1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Do I take the un fertilized eggs out ?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by sharaw20, Sep 21, 2016.

1. sharaw20

sharaw20 Just Hatched

Sep 17, 2016
    So I'm new to this whole broody hen thing. I bought a dozen eggs from a friend. And from what I am seeing only one eggs is good out of what I have left. I should be able to see if there is a chick by now right? I am on day 16. What should I do with the rest of the eggs. Should I just leave them in until the one I know is fertilized hatches. Or what. ? Thanks.

2. AmyLynn2374

AmyLynn2374 Humidity Queen

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    The egg should be pretty full and black by day 16, you can se daily candling pics here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...g-candling-pics-progression-though-incubation

I would pull the clears and and quitters.

3. appps

appps Overrun With Chickens

Aug 29, 2012
    Australia
    Yeah I agree, by day 16 there's really very little chance you are mistaking a fertilised egg for a dud. The one good one should look different enough that you could see it's not like the others if they aren't fertile.

I would remove them. My last hatch I had one go rotten and it stunk. As soon as I lifted the lid I knew all was not right it was that strong. I've read of fun (not) experiences of others too where they have gone from there to exploding. You don't want to risk rotten egg getting all over the good one or even worse, having to clean rotten egg out of the incubator [​IMG][​IMG]

4. sharaw20

sharaw20 Just Hatched

Sep 17, 2016
    I will be doing my last candling tonight as I don't want to move them much after this from what I have read. But the last time I checked the rest of the eggs just glowed there was no dark. I have read you can keep them but have read to discard. This is my first time with a broody hen and fertilized eggs. Thanks :).

5. n8ivetxn

n8ivetxn Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2011
    Elma, Washington
    I just did my day 14 candle and removed the duds, there were a lot [​IMG]. I was so afraid to do it, but I figured by day 14 I should be able to see a noticeable difference between the good and the bad.

Good luck!

6. sharaw20

sharaw20 Just Hatched

Sep 17, 2016
    Out of 12 that I started with. 4 broke and and 9 were not dark at all. And three were dark with the bubble at the bottom. So she is on three eggs. We will find out. Monday is day 21. We cross my fingers. If this didn't take them I'm waiting until the spring. I am in Ontario and winter is coming soon and I don't want the chicks the get cold. So I'll be waiting not til spring if these little guys don't make it. But my fingers are crossed [​IMG]

7. n8ivetxn

n8ivetxn Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2011
    Elma, Washington
    Bbbrrr! Ontario - that is cold!

The 4 that broke, might have gotten bacterial infection from the hen tracking in and out of the nest. That usually causes the egg to rot and explode.
    The 9 clears sound like they might be infertile.

In the next day or two, you might watch the hen and see if she appears to be listening to the eggs, or if she's actually clucking at them... that's a good sign. I've seen broodies actually cocking their heads to the side like they can hear the chick peeping before it hatches. They will cluck back at the chick to encourage it. - Gotta love broody hens [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by