Do I tell the Mayor I have chickens?

Discussion in 'Local Chicken Laws & Ordinances (and how to change' started by Aub, Apr 11, 2012.

1. Aub

Aub Out Of The Brooder

Mar 8, 2011
    I have a meeting with our Mayor tomorrow afternoon. I wanted to help educate him on keeping backyard chickens. I emailed him the other day after a new article came out about our town voting down a really good chicken ordinance but saying a couple in a residential area could have 16 horses. (I may or may not have referred to them as the Council of Hypocrites)
    I have had chickens in the middle of town for over a year. The ordinance I read said hens could not be running at large, same as any other animal. The reason the ordinance was voted down was because one of the council members "cleaned a chicken house and they don't belong in town".
    I guess I want to know what you think. Should I tell the Mayor I have 4 hens and invite him to see them and how wonderful they are? Or is that just setting myself up for problems?

2. PaulaSB12

PaulaSB12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2010
    I would show him groups that have successfully changed the rules in their home areas. Point them to clips on youtube showing how clean and quiet they are but I would not show them my own chickens you will be getting yourself in a lot of trouble and won't help the cause at all.

3. OldGuy43

OldGuy43 Chillin' With My Peeps

Agreed. "Don't ask. Don't tell." is a good policy in your situation.

4. Chemguy

Chemguy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2011
    Springfield, Ohio
    He will be obligated to enforce the ordinance.

5. Aub

Aub Out Of The Brooder

Mar 8, 2011
    Well I had my meeting. I did not tell him about my chickies. We talked about the ordinance and he told me that he was very surprised that it didn't pass. He told me to try again and get a petition together and more people at the meetings would be good too. I asked if a "fieldtrip" for the council would help. He asked if I knew anyone local with backyard chickens. So of course I said yes I do, there are a few people in town that have them. He stopped me right there and said he would not want to know who.
    So now I need to find someone close by that has a few chickens. But all in all it was a good day!

6. urban escapee

urban escapee Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2011
    Alvin, TX
    I guess I have to ask...How are horses cleaner than chickens?

7. Aub

Aub Out Of The Brooder

Mar 8, 2011
    All I could figure was that the council members never cleaned out a horse stall.

8. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    So what you need to find is someone just outside city limits that has very clean chicken coops [​IMG], and is near someone else with very NOT clean horse stalls [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by