DO I WAIT UNTIL MIDNIGHT ?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Myst4, May 1, 2008.

1. Myst4

Myst4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2008
    N.S., Canada
    I am on day 18 for 11 of my chicken eggs and day for only one of my eggs. I was told when I set them to wait until midnight on the 18th day before preparing the eggs for hatching. Today I have been watching the eggs and making sqeaky noises to them. The day 17 egg is responding by rocking. A few of the other eggs(day 18) are as well. What should I do...it is 6:41pm now...should I wait till midnight before raising the humidity and putting the in the egg carton? or do it now?

2. Vamp-A-Billy Princess

Vamp-A-Billy Princess Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2008
    Indiana
    I'd wait ssince the one is a bit behind. I am struggling to be patient w my eggs. I'm on day 10.

3. Myst4

Apr 1, 2008
    N.S., Canada
    Quote:Ok, I will wait.Thanks. I have patience....well,usually I do hahaha. Got to go check them again [​IMG]

4. Myst4

Apr 1, 2008
    N.S., Canada
    Do I have to have that mesh stuff lining the bottom of the bator(not talking about the wire mesh that comes with it though,the rubber stuff I mean)? Or can I use paper towel? I haven't got any of that rubber mesh stuff....didn't know I had to put something on the bottom until today:( .

5. MaransGuy

MaransGuy Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2007
    Greenfield, MA
    Honestly, it really does not come down to a matter of hours when stopping turning. You could stop turning on day 17 or even on 19 and not have a problem. I usually stop turning at some point on day 18, perhaps closer to the end of day 17 or early on day 19. Some people have even miscalculated and have had chicks hatch while the turners are still running. Chicks don't wear watches and if you are timing the hatch down to the hour you will lose your sanity by the time they are out. Relax, stop turning them, and leave town for the next 48 hours! [​IMG]

Richard

P.S. The foam shelf liner is not necessary. Some people like to use it, sometimes I do, but they are fine without it.

Last edited: May 1, 2008
  6. Myst4

Apr 1, 2008
    N.S., Canada
    Quote:Thanks Richard, It is 11:40pm and I have just finished turning my eggs,raised the humidity and have gotten my eggs ready for hatching. I found some shelf liner and put it on the bottom of the bator,although it was 2 pieces and I had to overlap them a bit. Now the waiting game......I just wanna scream hahaha...I am so anxious,excited,worried and nervous ..all in one! Oh, the thermometer ..I had it on top of the eggs all along, but now took it off of them so that they could hatch and also so that I could see any pipping. I laid it beside the carton they are in...is that ok?

Carrie

7. Vamp-A-Billy Princess

Vamp-A-Billy Princess Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2008
    Indiana
    Good question. I dont want chicks to eat the cord off my 40$ thermometer.

8. MaransGuy

MaransGuy Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2007
    Greenfield, MA
    Don't worry,

The chicks won't damage the thermometer. They might poop on it, but won't chew it apart. [​IMG]

9. Myst4

Apr 1, 2008
    N.S., Canada
    Well, my eggs are all ready for hatching..I hope.

10. RoostersCrow

RoostersCrow Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: May 2, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by