Do I want 2 male emus or a male and a female as pets?

Discussion in 'Ostriches, Emu, Rheas' started by Fuzzybird1, Mar 12, 2014.

1. Fuzzybird1

Fuzzybird1 Out Of The Brooder

May 30, 2013
    Last yr I adopted 2 emu chicks to raise as pets, most likely male and female by their head patterns. The female developed a splayed leg and did not make it. I am now about to adopt another chick to raise as a friend to our lone yearling male. Would it be better to get another female or would 2 males make better pets? I would appreciate any advice!

2. ES Emus

ES Emus Chillin' With My Peeps

the head pattern is not a reliable method of determining the sex of an emu chick, the only dependable methods are through a vent check or DNA testing...this being said, a pair is much less likely to fight as adults

3. Fuzzybird1

May 30, 2013
    This is confusing to me. I am getting different answers from different emu breeders. Some have said 2 males would be better pets and that they wouldn't fight while 2 females might fight. I was also told that the females were dominant and a male could lose his pet quality when a female is around. Others are telling me a pair is better. The more opinions I can get the better as I am a novice with emus. I am hoping to get as much advice as I can! Any other opinions out there one way or another? Can anyone explain this to me? It sure would help me decide what to do! Thanks!

4. Ellamumu

Ellamumu Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2013
    NH
    I have 2 pet males that get along fine now, ..but 1 is an adult and the other is only 1 years old so I don't know whats going to happen as the younger one reaches adulthood, right now they eat, sleep and sit in my lap together and everything is a good time, but I have been told they could fight when they're both adults so I have extra corrals available should I need to separate my sons.

5. Fuzzybird1

May 30, 2013
    Thanks for the feedback!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by