Do I want 2 male emus or a male and a female as pets?

Fuzzybird1

Songster
10 Years
May 30, 2013
Last yr I adopted 2 emu chicks to raise as pets, most likely male and female by their head patterns. The female developed a splayed leg and did not make it. I am now about to adopt another chick to raise as a friend to our lone yearling male. Would it be better to get another female or would 2 males make better pets? I would appreciate any advice!

This is confusing to me. I am getting different answers from different emu breeders. Some have said 2 males would be better pets and that they wouldn't fight while 2 females might fight. I was also told that the females were dominant and a male could lose his pet quality when a female is around. Others are telling me a pair is better. The more opinions I can get the better as I am a novice with emus. I am hoping to get as much advice as I can! Any other opinions out there one way or another? Can anyone explain this to me? It sure would help me decide what to do! Thanks!

I have 2 pet males that get along fine now, ..but 1 is an adult and the other is only 1 years old so I don't know whats going to happen as the younger one reaches adulthood, right now they eat, sleep and sit in my lap together and everything is a good time, but I have been told they could fight when they're both adults so I have extra corrals available should I need to separate my sons.

Back
Top Bottom