Do I want all her black ones?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by TLWR, May 9, 2011.

1. TLWR

TLWR Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    southern AL
    I found an ad on CL of somebody looking for incubator space to hatch some runner eggs in. I emailed asking about black runner ducklings.
    I received an email this morning offering all the black ones to me from Thursday's hatch. Waiting to hear if she's able to sex them as I really only want 1 black one and I'd like it to be male and then add another female of another color I don't have (blue maybe LOL).
    So once I hear from her about sexing, I'll email DH at work to see what he thinks about 2 more ducklings coming to live here LOL Plenty of room in the pond! Well, once it is done anyway.
    And this person seems to live only a few miles from us.

2. gofasterstripe

gofasterstripe Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG] Lets hope she can sex them for you. Good Luck, we will be waiting for news!! And hopefully you will at last get your blue Runner duck.

3. TLWR

TLWR Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    southern AL
    She's not able to sex them for fear of hurting them when trying (hey, I wouldn't try either!). But I can pick from her adults or raise the ducklings and swap out later.
    I don't mind brooding since I do it on the covered patio in a dane sized dog kennel and I don't have to smell them. So of 4-5, there has to be at least one boy right? Nobody ever gets all girls (unless they want just one boy? lol) Then I could keep a boy and a girl pair and she can have the other ones back.

With DH helping, we could have 4-5 friendly ducklings, right? That's why I want ducklings, so I can spend the time with them early on so they are friendly and not run away from you - the 3 girls here are happy go lucky ducklets. Blue doesn't even care any more when I walk next to her and scoop her up - she seemed to enjoy the ride to the vet. I expected lots of quacking, she peeped a few times and then sat back and check out the surroundings from her carrier. She quacked more at the vets office because of the kittens than in the car.

Now to convince DH we need to raise 4-5 ducklings lol maybe I'll snag a duckling of another color and hope it is a girl.
    Up the street is cheaper than ordering 2 from Metzer's - though I do have a GC and I can get a blue girl and a black boy. But these are local, no shipping involved.
    Decisions Decisions!

Ok, back to the pond, just lined it now to put the pond liner in - after lugging the 50 pound box out to the pond.

4. gofasterstripe

gofasterstripe Chillin' With My Peeps

You need to go and get your ducklings. When you get there you say to yourself.... I want that 1 coz its going to be a girl...You know its going to be a boy coz you aint that lucky!! You can always do what I do. I bought 3 and she gave me 1 free...or....well there was only 4 and I didnt want to leave 1 on its own!! Works like a charm, yes he will pull faces but its not going to last more than 5 minutes once you stick a skinny lityle Runner in his hands for cuddles [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by