Do I wash the dirty eggs or not?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by tallyho, Nov 17, 2010.

1. tallyho

tallyho Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2010
    I got some golden cuckoo marans eggs from a farm and they have some crud on them. I searched previous posts and some say to use hot water and Dawn, some say just wipe. Any other thoughts? I don't want to contaminate the incubator or any hatched chicks with 3 weeks of incubated bacteria but I want these to hatch.

2. taraann81

taraann81 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2009
    Ontario
    Honestly I personally just scratch any dirt or poop off o fthm. Alternatively if the egg is very mportant too me and its REALLY dirty I have washed them before. I prefer not to though. When you wash the bloom off you leave the egg(and developing chick) more prone to invasion by bacteria.

I guess its a personal choice with what you feel more comfortable doing, I've had good hatches doing it both ways.

3. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Don't Panic

Aug 13, 2007
    North/Central Florida
    Every commercial hatchery I've ever read about washes and sanitizes their eggs. I figure they are onto something. I wash and sanitize all of mine.

4. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

My Egg Washer Pro solution has a dilution strength on the bottle for washing hatching eggs. I haven't had to wash any of my hatching eggs yet, but I've got the cleaner if I need it.

5. PunkinPeep

PunkinPeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2009
    SouthEast Texas
    A.T. Hagan :

Every commercial hatchery I've ever read about washes and sanitizes their eggs. I figure they are onto something. I wash and sanitize all of mine.

I think just like you - only opposite. I have never seen a chicken wash her eggs before setting. So i don't. [​IMG] To each his or her own.​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by