Do incubator hatched silkies still go broody? Are they good mothers?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by magicpigeon, Jan 5, 2011.

1. magicpigeon

magicpigeon Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2010
    Just wondering if anyone has any 1st hand experience with this. I've got 2 that were incubated for more than a couple of generations. I'm not sure how many ... [​IMG] My question is: will they still go broody, and for 21 days? I'm hoping so, but if not..that a [email protected] lot of eggs I'll be eating in the next couple of days...[​IMG]

2. LadyinRed

LadyinRed Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 22, 2009
    Yes, incubator hatched Silkies will still go broody. And as to being a good mother that relies all on instinct, some of them have it some don't.

3. Kat'sChicks

Kat'sChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2009
    Minonk, IL
    I've never had a problem here...a breed of chicken that's prone to broodiness will still be that way regardless of how they were hatched. It's more instinct than anything. The only thing to keep in mind that some hens are just better at it. I have one girl that goes broody in Feb. and doesn't want to give it up until Oct. and I have another that starts to horde eggs in April but is perfectly happy to hatch and raise those chicks as her only brood for the year. Both hens were incubated. They're silkies, BTW.
    Also keep in mind that just because you want one to go broody on YOUR schedule doesn't mean it will happen. If anything it's a guarantee that they'll wait a month...or three.

4. nuttyredhead

nuttyredhead Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2010
    Southern NH
    Kat'sChicks :

I've never had a problem here...a breed of chicken that's prone to broodiness will still be that way regardless of how they were hatched. It's more instinct than anything. The only thing to keep in mind that some hens are just better at it. I have one girl that goes broody in Feb. and doesn't want to give it up until Oct. and I have another that starts to horde eggs in April but is perfectly happy to hatch and raise those chicks as her only brood for the year. Both hens were incubated. They're silkies, BTW.
    Also keep in mind that just because you want one to go broody on YOUR schedule doesn't mean it will happen. If anything it's a guarantee that they'll wait a month...or three.

Not to highjack but just wondering... is there an age when they typically go broody? Or are all chickens different? I have high hopes on hatching this spring (might have some funny looking chickens with my group though lol!!).​

5. emzee

emzee Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2009
    Probably the earliest age that a silkie would go broody is at about 8 or 9 months.

6. midget_farms

midget_farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    Dunlap Illinois
    Great questions! - The incubator has nothing to do with the chickens ability to go broody or be a good mother. its all instinct & not a learned behavior! Many egg breeds are clueless & would never survive w/o human intervention. That instinct is bread out of them because they stop laying if they go broody. It cuts down production.

Silkies are usually great mothers & sitters - but there's always a chance one odd ball isn't.

There is no way to enduce a chicken to go broody. Its totally up to them.

Some say if they hear baby chicks peeping they will go broody - not sure how true that is - but maybe find a sound bite online & play it for them? Couldn't hurt.

7. AngieChick

AngieChick Poultry Elitist

Quote:This.

I have 4 silkie hens that were originally incubated. This year alone they have each gone broody 4 times. In fact, I have a pair of pure white sisters that will wait until the other hens have sat on the eggs for 18 days, not showing any signs of broodiness themselves, then they will boot that poor broody off the eggs and raise up the subsequent babies as a team. They must hear the cheeping when the eggs pip. These girls have stolen hatched babies as well, without being broody prior. I even put a few feed store chicks underneath them at night when they were not broody and their response in the morning was "Oh goody! Babies!" I probably couldn't do this with my other 2 girls, but this pair are determined mothers. They just aren't happy if they don't have babies.

Not all silkies are as relentlessly broody as this pair, but every single one of mine does tend towards broodiness at varying degrees.

8. Enchanted Sunrise Farms

Enchanted Sunrise Farms Overrun With Chickens

Apr 26, 2007
    Fair Oaks, California
    i have primarily silkies and showgirls. Most all were incubator hatched and most all have gone broody at one point or another. i think the earliest with any of them has been at about 7 or 8 months, right after they begin to lay. i have a couple that are relentless broodies. Can barely get them unbroodied for a day or two then back they are camping on the nest. Some have been great mothers, sticking with their kids until they were full grown. Others have lost interest after a couple weeks and want to abandon their kids. It really all depends on the hen, they are all different. i have one beautiful Showgirl, Lt. Ohura, who is the best mother and constantly broody. She's out there now in the coop trying to hatch sawdust. But if i ever get around to wanting chicks again, she's my girl.

9. GotChicken?

GotChicken? Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 14, 2010
    The Thumb, MI
    Definitely.

[​IMG]

My hen had only been broody for a week when the eggs in the incubator starting pipping. After I brought the hen in the house, and an intial "What the ?????" look from her when I put the weird peeping eggs underneath her, she was more than happy to adopt the little ones. Now if she would just stop kicking shavings into the food and water. [​IMG]

10. magicpigeon

magicpigeon Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2010
    GotChicken? :

Definitely.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/47116_dsc01017.jpg

My hen had only been broody for a week when the eggs in the incubator starting pipping. After I brought the hen in the house, and an intial "What the ?????" look from her when I put the weird peeping eggs underneath her, she was more than happy to adopt the little ones. Now if she would just stop kicking shavings into the food and water. [​IMG]

LOL! [​IMG] I got a 5 week old australorp to adopt a one week old sussex! Not exactly the same thing but what the heck better than keeping them alone [​IMG] The 2 I've got are laying together in the same area. Every day one of them separates the pile of eggs; one clutch white and the other pinkish. Too cute! I'll try and get a pic [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by