1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Do It Yourself ACV?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Chickenmaven, Sep 1, 2009.

1. Chickenmaven

Chickenmaven Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2009
    Michigan
    Is it possible to create an ACV "mother" at home?
    I have been buying the Bragg ACV for about $3.50. That's alot of money, poured out fast. Yesterday, I saw regular ACV for $1.50. I was wondering if one could mix a bottle of each. I know that breadmakers keep their starter (the "mother" of their yeast) going for generations, by mixing old with new. Could this be done with ACV?
    I spend a whole lot on my chickens. Frankly, the gourmet balsamic vinegar I use in cooking ends up being more economical than the ACV for the chickens.
    Any ideas?

2. ShaggysGirl

ShaggysGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2009
    Temperance, MI
    I am making ACV. It takes awhile to turn, the way I read to do it is you take 1/2 acv the good stuff with mothers to 1/2 frozen apple juice. You can't use the bottled juice, just the frozen or fresh apple cider

3. werecatrising

werecatrising Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 4, 2009
    California
    I am making my own too. I bought a huge thing of yeast for 8 dollars(couldn't find anything smaller) and frozen apple juice.

4. Chickenmaven

Chickenmaven Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2009
    Michigan
    Hey, it is almost apple cider time, here in Michigan. [​IMG]

I am hatching a plan!

5. ShaggysGirl

ShaggysGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2009
    Temperance, MI
    Quote:I'm in MI too we have a apple orchard about 1 mile down the road [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by