Do Japanese quails drink from a drinker?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by IvyShine, Nov 29, 2013.

1. IvyShine

IvyShine New Egg

Jul 6, 2013
    I'll be getting some Japanese quails,
    I have already bought finch seed (That's right, isn't it?), and chick starter,
    Will quails drink from a drinker?

Last edited: Nov 30, 2013
  2. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    You can feed gamebird starter feed to babies and adults alike, all of their lives.

Quail need at least 20% protein for good health. If you are keeping quail for eggs, you need to go higher, at least 24%. Baby quail should be raised on at least 26% or more protein to develop properly. Regular chicken chick starter is too low for babies, however you can feed adult quail chicken chick starter in a pinch, should you run out of gamebird food.

If you can not find any gamebird starter, Turkey starter or Turkey grower will work just as well for them. It is usually somewhere between 24% and 26%.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2013
  3. IvyShine

IvyShine New Egg

Jul 6, 2013
    Out of the 2 pet stores I have seen with --- starter, none of them sell turkey starter, OR gamebird starter. I will have another look though.

4. Hollow Point

Hollow Point Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2012
    SW Louisiana
    Regular chick starter is all I have ever fed mine whether they are little or adult and have had no issues. I believe its only 18% protein.

5. IvyShine

IvyShine New Egg

Jul 6, 2013
    I got finch seed, and chick starter. The starter is 20% protein.

6. James the Bald

James the Bald Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2013
    Ivy, welcome to the quail forum on BYC, and thank you for not replying in those neon colors. For the top question, a pet store will not have the type of food that quail require. Flemming Outdoors (one of the sponsors for this site) sells this feed online, but only in the 5 lb bag.

As for your other question, quail will drink from a drinker, but don't be surprised if they poop in it too.
    James

7. IvyShine

IvyShine New Egg

Jul 6, 2013
    I know pet stores don't have that kind of stuff, i meant pet supply stores (They do have it there)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by