Do Jersey Giant's take longer to start laying ?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Jynx21, Feb 24, 2012.

1. Jynx21

Jynx21 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 1, 2009
    Roy, Washington
    I have 4 Jersey Giant hens in with my other mixed group of hens, and I'm not sure if the Giants are laying yet. They will be a year old on April first, I got some very large eggs in late Oct early Nov but now everything is about the same size of my Cuckuo Marans eggs. Did they just stop laying because of winter or ?

2. wren

wren Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2007
    St Augustine, FL
    Ya, they stopped because of winter. You could put a light on if you want eggs.

3. Jynx21

Sep 1, 2009
    Roy, Washington
    Thanks, I haven't had that problem with anyone else, they have kept laying year round for the past 2 years. Just how long before the light works?

4. crankster76

crankster76 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 25, 2011
    Kingston,Tn.
    luv my giants! they do take alot longer than others. there not full grown till they are 2 yrs. have had eggs at 8mo. but dont get impatient, they will get there.

5. Jynx21

Sep 1, 2009
    Roy, Washington
    I really enjoy them too, I'm not upset about them not laying, I was getting worried that there was something i was doing wrong. I am planning on getting some more pullets later this year, I currently have 4 hens and 2 big roos.

6. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    With the increasing daylength egg production should resume shortly.

7. crankster76

crankster76 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 25, 2011
    Kingston,Tn.
    what kind do ya have? blks, whites,blues,splashes?

8. Jynx21

Sep 1, 2009
    Roy, Washington
    I have blacks, I might add blues or splashes later but for now I would like to get together a good sized laying flock of blacks so I can start selling hatching eggs and chicks. But I am moving slowly so I can get pens and coops in order before I load up on chicks[​IMG]. I honestly think the Jerseys are amazing chickens and as my other breeds die off Im going to just stick with the Giants.

9. Spinster_Sister

Spinster_Sister Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 9, 2009
    Hawthorne, CA
    My very favorite hen is, Parsley, the Black Jersey Giant. She started laying with she was 6.5 months old and has laid pretty consistantly, slowed just a bit over winter but we live in Southern California where there is no snow. I love JGs and wish I could have more of them, but my girl is so darn LOUD!!! I hope to buy a house with some acreage and then I'll have JGs everywhere!

10. DuckyChicken14

DuckyChicken14 New Egg

Mar 27, 2013
    Pakenham, Ontario, Canada
    Hi! I just joined BYC because of the google search I did on this question. My 3 JG hens are not laying. When they do. it's like a small egg...a very small egg for such a big hen.
    I have a Black hen...she's got to be a year and a 1/2 now, and 2 whites. The one white is going into her 2nd year, and the other one is young still. It has been cold, and we have the light on in the pen all winter. I hope they pick up or else I am going to trade them. I love them, it's just that I wanted eggs! lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by