Do jumbo coturnix lay more, larger eggs than normal coturnix?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Joshaeus, Mar 4, 2014.

1. Joshaeus

Joshaeus Out Of The Brooder

Mar 1, 2014
    ...well, do they? Also, do they need more food?

2. Joshaeus

Mar 1, 2014
    And on an unrelated note, do you need a permit to raise quail in Maine if you are not going to grow them commercially (I was planning on selling some of the chicks I would raise at tractor supply co's farm days during the warmer parts of the year, but the amount of money garnered is small enough that I assume it does not count).

3. dc3085

dc3085 Chillin' With My Peeps

The larger any bird is the more food it will eat. I have 30 coturnix and 50lb bag of food lasts me a couple weeks. I have waste free feeders though and that makes a big difference. THey love wasting food.

Jumbo coturnix do not lay more eggs than standard coturnix. They do lay a larger egg. Coturnix lay up 300 eggs a year naturally. No other quail naturally lay more than 100/year naturally.

Typically most states do not require a permit for coturnix but do for most other types of quail. Your states fish and game will have all the info you will need on permitting.

4. Joshaeus

Mar 1, 2014
    I looked it up, and quails of genus coturnix are permitted! Admittedly, they specifically listed button quail, but I don't think coturnix will be an issue for them since they are not much more than a bigger button quail. By the way, do the color varieties lay fewer eggs than the pharaoh quails? (While we are at it, someone should put in the learning center that the quail of genus coturnix are permitted in Maine without a permit...)

Last edited: Mar 4, 2014
  5. luvburds

luvburds Out Of The Brooder

Mar 2, 2014
    Macon, Ga
    I'm new to the forum and this has probably been discussed but what is a waste free feeder. I need one, LOL

6. dc3085

There are many ways to make your feeders waste free. The easiest and cheapest is to use a block of some sort to raise the feeder up 3-4 inches off the ground. They need to have to reach up and over just a little bit so they don't waste. [​IMG]

It's that simple.

7. luvburds

luvburds Out Of The Brooder

Mar 2, 2014
    Macon, Ga
    why didn't I think of that! Thanks

8. davedavey

davedavey Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 13, 2013
    washington state

9. dc3085

Without the block those 6 birds will empty that feeder every day. With the block it can go two full days.

Another way is to find a dog dish that is exactly the size of the bottom of that feeder and wedge it in the dog bowl. That way when they play the food scatter game the food just falls back into the bowl and they eat it later.

10. Joshaeus

Mar 1, 2014
    If you feed the birds scraps such as veggies, can you reduce their feed consumption somewhat?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by