Do large breed roosters crow much louder than bantams?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by susanah, Jul 30, 2013.

1. susanah

susanah Songster

Mar 23, 2009
    We have a OEG bantam roo and he does not bother us or the neighbors and we may have accidentally gotten a roo in our newest batch of chicks. Possible he is an Easter Egger. Do you think there would be a big difference in volume???

2. TOP KNOT

TOP KNOT Songster

Mar 10, 2013
    SHERIDAN IL
    Possibly.... I have 2 speckled sussex roosters...LOUD!! They are 22 weeks old now and crow ALL of the time!!! These are in the heavy class. Good luck!! I did have a Dominique roo and he sounded like a banty??! So I guess you will have to wait and see [​IMG]

3. chooks4life

chooks4life Crowing

Apr 8, 2013
    Australia
    The size of his 'crowing gear' is not really correlated to his body size, in my experience. The loudest chooks I've ever had were white leghorns and their derivatives, followed by banties of all mixes, followed in last place by my biggest roosters. The rooster's father and grandfather's crows will generally tell you all you need to know about his crow. It's all inherited from time of crows to frequency to duration to stridulations, tone, pitch, clarity or hoarseness, decibels, triggers, etc.

4. susanah

susanah Songster

Mar 23, 2009
    Thanks all!

5. chickd

chickd In the Brooder

Mar 17, 2013
    Yeah I need to know that too

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by