Do large poultry farmers feed Purina Layena?

I can't see the big operations buying feed in 50# sacks. They get it by the ton, usually at a mill. I buy my feed from a small farmer that mixes all his own feeds.

Almost certainly too costly for real farmers to buy even by the multi-ton truckloads.

I just stopped using it myself for that very reason. Layena at $16.50 a bag or FRM at $12.50. Not much of a decision to make there.

I didn't mean Layena in 50# bags. I meant Layena by the truck load.

No- very few of them have ever heard the name "Layena"

I also suspect that the truck load price would be much less than what we pay per bag.

For argements sake - about half.

I'm sure Purina supplies lots of big op places by the truck load but depends on the cost and preference of whoever is buying.

No they do not. There might be a very few places out there that buy "concentrates" from Purina. These premixed micro ingredients are added to corn and soybean meal boutght off the commodity market. There certainly are other ingredients used (espcially dried distillers grains) used but these are generall added to reduce cost further.

Currently
48% Commodity Soybean Meal is about 0.20 per pound or $10.00 per 50 lbs.
Corn at $7.50 a bushel is 0.13 per pound or $6.66 per 50 lbs.

Bagged feed is priced at a SUPER PREMIUM price.
Feed goes to the farms in truckloads with not more than 28 tons aboard. A great many large egg production units grind their own feeds.​

Out of the ones I know, not one of them use any of Purina's products.
They each have there own custom mix's for there birds needs and have it mixed tons at a time at the local feed mill.

Chris

Well there has got to be more than just us "Backyarder's" buying from Purina, I'm aware they make more than just poultry feed, but they're a huge company and didn't get huge by just selling layena by the bag full.

Back
Top Bottom