Do Lavender Orp chicks come yellow??

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by TedJan92_in_Idaho, Sep 24, 2011.

1. TedJan92_in_Idaho

TedJan92_in_Idaho Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2011
    Cocolalla Idaho
    I had some Lavender orp eggs hatch out this morning and the chicks are yellow. Do they come yellow???

2. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    This is the only pic I have on the computer of some day olds I hatched out acouple years ago. These were 2nd or 3rd generation and were from split black lavenders I had that carry the lavender gene so I was able to get some pure lavender color out of them. As you can see they have a tinge of yellow but should be mostly silvery grey. Atleast that is how all my lavenders have hatched out.

Just depends on who you got them from and if they are continuing to working on the project and what generation they are. I do seem to remember that mottle ran in the earlier stages of this project and those may be a mottle lav. There are mottled lavender out there in projects. I'm sure I will be corrected if wrong.

Do you have pics you can post?

[​IMG]

3. WA4-Hpoultrymom

WA4-Hpoultrymom Never enough coops...

Feb 5, 2009
    Monroe, WA
    My Coop
    Sometimes their underbellies are yellowish. But their backs are usually silver grayish.

4. Shaffer

Shaffer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2008
    Tamaqua, NE Pa
    I have had them come in various shades depending on their genetic makeup. I had them dark grey, grey, yellowish grey and even pure white.

5. kathyinmo

kathyinmo Nothing In Moderation

If they are yellow, they may be mottled. There are Lavender Mottled and Black Mottled. I have hatched both, from earlier generation birds.

6. luvmygoats

luvmygoats Out Of The Brooder

Mar 9, 2011
    Lubec, Maine
    I also have had them hatch out in various shades, mostly shades of grey with yellow underbellies, but did have a yellow one with the slightest grey shading hatch out. As it's feathers grew in, it got the common lavender color we all know.

7. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    The chicks that hatch mostly yellow are more likely mottled. Even though they feather in looking lavender, they are not pure lavender. The white feather tips do not show thru well on the lav birds. You can tell by their white shanks if they have this gene. Pure lavender would have dark blue shanks. These are common from early generations of the project. We culled for it several years ago, but there are still folks working with them. Some are solely working with the mottled birds, which will breed true.

8. TedJan92_in_Idaho

TedJan92_in_Idaho Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2011
    Cocolalla Idaho
    Thanks for the replies. I have 2 that is solid yellow.No other color blend in. Legs are light colored and I can't tell right now if they are white or yellow. Look more of a off white. Maybe a mis identified couple of eggs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by