Do LENTILS Need to be cracked?

rSpriggs

In the Brooder
11 Years
Feb 3, 2008
Spirit Lake, ID
We have a situation locally where there is mixed barley & lentils available for 9 cents a pound.
The lentils have been run thru a sizing sifter, and are smaller than what is "normal" size, thus the low price.
Will the gals be fine with the lentils as is, or should I find a way to crack them?
The lentil / barley mix is available for the next week or so, then it will be lentils only.
I'm looking to create a "what-if" reserve food supply for the layers, more so than scratch grains, so I'm interested in comments regarding the comnpleteness (or lack of) with that mix.

All help & comments are appreciated!
Thanks-
Russ

Oooh yeah, sprout those babies and you'll have friends for life! They are probably far more nutritious that way as well. Come to think of it, we should be eating this stuff...

Will they srout if they're not whole? I'd have to guess that at least half the 'chunks' don't have what they need inside to sprout...

That said - would soaked lentils work in place of cooked?

I soaked the mixed barley & lentils for 24 hrs & have been rinsing & draining for 2 days, & we have sprouts.
The split lentils are certainly soft enough, and everything is quite tasty . . .
smile.png

My first thought on this 9 cent stuff was, Wow, if the ship hits the sand, I won't need to be butchering starving chickens.
My thoughts now are, Wow, I've got over a thousand pounds of survival food that I can share with the chickens . . .
wink.png

It was simple math for me . . .
I spend well over $20 for organic feed now, so it's nearly 50 cents a pound.
I spent about $100 for over half a ton of "backup" feed!

Back
Top Bottom