1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Do LENTILS Need to be cracked?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by rSpriggs, Sep 7, 2008.

1. rSpriggs

rSpriggs Out Of The Brooder

Feb 3, 2008
    Spirit Lake, ID
    We have a situation locally where there is mixed barley & lentils available for 9 cents a pound.
    The lentils have been run thru a sizing sifter, and are smaller than what is "normal" size, thus the low price.
    Will the gals be fine with the lentils as is, or should I find a way to crack them?
    The lentil / barley mix is available for the next week or so, then it will be lentils only.
    I'm looking to create a "what-if" reserve food supply for the layers, more so than scratch grains, so I'm interested in comments regarding the comnpleteness (or lack of) with that mix.

All help & comments are appreciated!
    Thanks-
    Russ

2. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    They should be cooked. Don't give them to your chickens as hard little rock nuggets.

3. rSpriggs

Feb 3, 2008
    Spirit Lake, ID
    Quote:Thanks!
    As an alternative, how about soaking & sprouting the barley / lentil mix - any thoughts?

4. tvtaber

tvtaber Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2007
    Central CA
    Oooh yeah, sprout those babies and you'll have friends for life! They are probably far more nutritious that way as well. Come to think of it, we should be eating this stuff...

5. carress

carress Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2008
    Orange county NY
    Will they srout if they're not whole? I'd have to guess that at least half the 'chunks' don't have what they need inside to sprout...

That said - would soaked lentils work in place of cooked?

6. rSpriggs

Feb 3, 2008
    Spirit Lake, ID
    I soaked the mixed barley & lentils for 24 hrs & have been rinsing & draining for 2 days, & we have sprouts.
    The split lentils are certainly soft enough, and everything is quite tasty . . .
    [​IMG]
    My first thought on this 9 cent stuff was, Wow, if the ship hits the sand, I won't need to be butchering starving chickens.
    My thoughts now are, Wow, I've got over a thousand pounds of survival food that I can share with the chickens . . .
    [​IMG]

7. tvtaber

tvtaber Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2007
    Central CA
    Right attitude! So glad it worked out! I would have bnought a lot too, but 1,000 pounds? Wow...

8. rSpriggs

Feb 3, 2008
    Spirit Lake, ID
    It was simple math for me . . .
    I spend well over $20 for organic feed now, so it's nearly 50 cents a pound.
    I spent about $100 for over half a ton of "backup" feed!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by