Do LGDs purr?

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by zzGypsy, Sep 26, 2011.

1. zzGypsy

zzGypsy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2011
    ok, well not purr, exactly, but my 5 month old pyr/anatolian/kangal pups make this rumbly grunty noise in their throats when they come in from the pasture to greet me... don't know how to describe it except it sounds like what a dog would do if it tried to purr.

I've never heard a dog do that before, just wondering if it's typical of GPs or the turkish LGD breeds.

2. watchdogps

watchdogps Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    Central Ohio
    Quote:Totally varies upon dog. I know some that are real talkers and some that aren't. My male is very quiet. His daughter will "whisper woof" at me for attention, and her half sister will make bizarre garbly-growls at hubby when he plays with her. The girls mom would make noises that sounded like something off jurassic park when I would get home.

3. zzGypsy

zzGypsy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2011
    ha! ok, cool.
    I've had terriers with a huge vocabulary of sounds, and other dogs with just the standard set. just wasn't sure if this was an LGD specific thing.
    thanks!

4. CrazyFowlFreak

CrazyFowlFreak Pine Hill Farm

Apr 24, 2009
    WV
    My Standard Poodle makes that noise, too. I like to think it's a happy, loving sound. <3

5. maizy'smom

maizy'smom Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2011
    Philadelphia suburbs
    Years ago, I remember an article about a dog who was raised by/with cats, who would do its best to "purr" as its adopted siblings did.

mm

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by