Do MAGPIES ever resemble Swedish?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by jmc, Aug 15, 2010.

1. jmc

jmc Songster

Jul 22, 2008
    South Central MA
    for those who keep maggies...........
    it seems some should...............

2. Blooming chicks

Blooming chicks Songster

Mar 4, 2008
    Bucks County
    I would love to know too...mine look more Swedish than Magpie.

3. iamcuriositycat

iamcuriositycat Songster

Jul 30, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    Yes, they can. But it's not considered good coloration. The markings on the magpie are considered one of the most difficult color patterns to perfect. I have magpies from Holderread, and they are gorgeous and the markings are awesome. But I've seen LOTS of pictures of hatchery magpies that look nothing like mine. Part of the genetics include the same bibbed gene that creates the bib on the swedish, so it's not at all unusual for them to look bibbed instead of magpied.

But again, the breed standard considers it too much color to have only the bib in white.

4. jmc

jmc Songster

Jul 22, 2008
    South Central MA
    kelly, you have answered my question. thanks. would be nice to see a pic of yours.

IAM, thanks for your reply. i am assuming they would/could have this color fault due to the EE SS.

if any one has pics of swedish looking magpies readily avail. would be nice to see. but don't go out and do pics for me thoough..........

5. bock

bock Songster

Oct 10, 2008
    Northern CA
    Quote:You want pics. [​IMG] I can just tell [​IMG]

6. Blooming chicks

Blooming chicks Songster

Mar 4, 2008
    Bucks County
    [​IMG]

This is kind of a far away shot--but you can clearly see the white bib on both. The one on the right is male the left is female. Do these resemble yours at all?

[​IMG]

Edited to add another pic--male left, female right. Taken 4 weeks ago.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by