Do male and female turkeys strut when they are young (7-8 weeks)?

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by tdmason, May 27, 2010.

1. tdmason

tdmason Out Of The Brooder

Jun 2, 2008
    I have two white turkeys to whom I have no clue what sex either is. They should be around 7 to 8 weeks in age now. I was told that when they start strutting that will tell you if they are a male or female. Well, both of them will strut and bow up. One will do it and the other will lay down like a hen and the other one will stand over it, the the other will get up and start strutting a little and the first strutter will lie down. Are they just trying to figure out what they are? They are the same age and one is losing more feathers on its head and neck now but the other could possibly be starting. Any ideas? I am going to try to download a picture.

2. tdmason

Jun 2, 2008
    Here are a couple of pictures(not the best) but I have had them around a month and were told they were three weeks old when I got them. I was really hoping for a male and female but I was thinking they might could both be toms.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. tdmason

Jun 2, 2008
    Sorry, forgot to add, the two middle pictures are one and the last is the other.

4. aggieterpkatie

aggieterpkatie Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2009
    Maryland
    I'm not sure. One of my white turkey poults started strutting at a week old! So cute! [​IMG]

5. gamebirdsonly

gamebirdsonly Overrun With Chickens

Mar 5, 2007
    UTAH
    Quote:I had one last year did same thing [​IMG]

6. Nyrial

Nyrial Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2009
    Lake Stevens, WA
    Mine did it younger.

Here's the thread , with pics.

He thinks he's so bad!

7. dieselgrl48

dieselgrl48 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2010
    Virginia
    Well mine did but I dont have any pics as babies but here is one at near summer 09.We had gotten them as babie's in spring O8.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 27, 2010
  8. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    Females can mimick strutting, however they cannot mimick gobbling. When you hear a gobble, that's when you know for sure. [​IMG]

9. KOTurkeyRanch

KOTurkeyRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2009
    Western PA
    Dont mean to steal your thread, but i have one perticular poult, they are all 3 weeks, whose snood is much larger and his feet and much larger, well, i let one out and he flew out and strutted around it. Its so awesome!

10. Boggy Bottom Bantams

Boggy Bottom Bantams Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2008
    Hahira, GA
    yep all will do it.
    Like it was mentioned, look for one getting bigger, leg and feet size difference, etc, males will get larger than females quicker, snood will drop females stay erect, if you see one with a hanging snood, good shot its male , lots of subtle differences, still a bit young to tell on them though for sure

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by