Do male chicks practice crowing?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Ariomi, Mar 31, 2012.

1. Ariomi

Ariomi Out Of The Brooder

Mar 28, 2012
    Lately i've been hearing this tiny crow like noise coming from the brooder. I know I have a few cockerels in my straight run batch of bantams, but at 2 1/2 weeks would the males be vocalizing differently already? I would guess not but this is a brand new sound and it's loud copared to their other noises!

2. KLRA

KLRA Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2011
    Lane County, OR
    I have a 3 week old cockerel that crows every morning already (or tries to). I've had some try to start even earlier than that too!

3. tinydancer87

tinydancer87 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2011
    SE Georgia
    Lol.

I kept hearing a strange noise coming my chick box, it sounded like someone was hurt or scared, and I would always run in there to see, but nobody would be doing anything then, of course.

Then my husband happened to be watching when my 4 week old silver seabright let out a mangled crow.

It was really cute.

4. KLRA

KLRA Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2011
    Lane County, OR
    Same thing always happens to me! I think someone's getting picked on so I run to the brooder. Takes me a week or so before I catch them in the act. It always seems way too early for them to be crowing... Of course, I can usually spot the boys by their behavior just a few days to a week after hatch. Little punks.

5. pinkribbons4

pinkribbons4 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 8, 2012
    Vermont
  6. Ariomi

Ariomi Out Of The Brooder

Mar 28, 2012
    Wow haha no way! Thats such an adorable video! And here I am thinking I was asking a dumb question! Thanks so much guys, now I know I'm not going crazy when I hear sounds like that comeing from the brooder!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by