Do Male Ducks Sit on nest? w/Pic

Dogginfox

Crowing
16 Years
Jan 25, 2007
Athens, Ga/ Hayesville, NC
I have three Ducks. One is a silverappleyard Drake and the other 2 are Pekins, I am 99% sure one is male and the other is female but for the past few days both pekins have been sitting on a nest of eggs. The silver appleyard jumps in the middle at night but stays outside with the chickens most of the day. I was just under the impression that only female ducks sit on the nest, maybe i was wrong
IMG_1353.jpg

I've yet to see a drake sit on a nest, but I've seen Male Turkeys and Pheasants do it, so why not a duck?! Im guessing you have two females as well though. Do you have pics of their tails? They could be moulting right now though, I dont know. Mine moulted a while back, so the drake has his curly tail feather back.

I've never had a drake to set on eggs and I've got call ducks, mallards,wood ducks and mandarins..........did have cayugas and pekins at one time. You said you think one of the pekins is a male..........do you think maybe he is just keeping the hen company and does not realize what he is doing?

yes male pekings sit on the eggs. i have male n female and they have mated so i know they both r diffrent sexes. the male sits on some and the female sits on some. as it getting closer to hatchlings ive noticed the male laying next to her on eggs also

yes male pekings sit on the eggs. i have male n female and they have mated so i know they both r diffrent sexes. the male sits on some and the female sits on some. as it getting closer to hatchlings ive noticed the male laying next to her on eggs also

yes male pekings sit on the eggs. i  have male n female and they have mated so i know they both r diffrent sexes. the male sits on some and the female sits on some. as it getting closer to hatchlings ive noticed the male laying next to her on eggs also

Just because there mating dont mean you have a pair i have two pekin ducks that mate with eachother. :)

My male pekin was sitting on the nest of eggs today...I also saw him standing guard over it when the female got off...I came across this thread because I was trying to find out if this happens lots

My male pekin was sitting on the nest of eggs today...I also saw him standing guard over it when the female got off...I came across this thread because I was trying to find out if this happens lots
I've been on BYC since 2009 and haven't seen many write about their drakes sitting on eggs.

Back
Top Bottom