Do Male Ducks Sit on nest? w/Pic

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Dogginfox, Nov 21, 2007.

1. Dogginfox

Dogginfox Chillin' With My Peeps

I have three Ducks. One is a silverappleyard Drake and the other 2 are Pekins, I am 99% sure one is male and the other is female but for the past few days both pekins have been sitting on a nest of eggs. The silver appleyard jumps in the middle at night but stays outside with the chickens most of the day. I was just under the impression that only female ducks sit on the nest, maybe i was wrong
    [​IMG]

2. DrakeMaiden

DrakeMaiden Overrun with Drakes

Jun 8, 2007
    Kitsap County, WA
    Drakes won't sit on the eggs. I don't know if Pekins are an exception or not. My feeling is that you may have two females.

3. theOEGBman

theOEGBman Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2007
    Central California
    I've yet to see a drake sit on a nest, but I've seen Male Turkeys and Pheasants do it, so why not a duck?! Im guessing you have two females as well though. Do you have pics of their tails? They could be moulting right now though, I dont know. Mine moulted a while back, so the drake has his curly tail feather back.

4. KingsCalls

KingsCalls Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2007
    New Market,Tn.
    I've never had a drake to set on eggs and I've got call ducks, mallards,wood ducks and mandarins..........did have cayugas and pekins at one time. You said you think one of the pekins is a male..........do you think maybe he is just keeping the hen company and does not realize what he is doing?

5. jessienelson30

jessienelson30 New Egg

Nov 15, 2012
    yes male pekings sit on the eggs. i have male n female and they have mated so i know they both r diffrent sexes. the male sits on some and the female sits on some. as it getting closer to hatchlings ive noticed the male laying next to her on eggs also

6. jessienelson30

jessienelson30 New Egg

Nov 15, 2012
    yes male pekings sit on the eggs. i have male n female and they have mated so i know they both r diffrent sexes. the male sits on some and the female sits on some. as it getting closer to hatchlings ive noticed the male laying next to her on eggs also

7. Poultrybonkers

Poultrybonkers Overrun With Chickens

Mar 22, 2011

Just because there mating dont mean you have a pair i have two pekin ducks that mate with eachother. :)

8. Justem

Justem Out Of The Brooder

Apr 23, 2015
    My male pekin was sitting on the nest of eggs today...I also saw him standing guard over it when the female got off...I came across this thread because I was trying to find out if this happens lots

9. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I've been on BYC since 2009 and haven't seen many write about their drakes sitting on eggs.

10. Vosh Sahaal

Vosh Sahaal Out Of The Brooder

Oct 1, 2015
    Thinks he is a gander he does.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by