1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Do male or female ducks make the best pets?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by DuckieLover8, Jan 26, 2015.

1. DuckieLover8

DuckieLover8 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 26, 2015
    I'm looking to get some Cayuga ducklings.[​IMG] Does anyone know if the males or females are friendliest? I have done some research, and I've heard that the females quack more than the males, and they are louder, also. Is this true? Thanks!

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    [​IMG] Females are somewhat noisier than drakes but generally pose fewer problems as far as aggression. Drakes as they reach sexual maturity can be a real pain - literally.

3. needlessjunk

needlessjunk Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2014
    Round Rock, TX
    My male pekins were great pets and very quiet. I never had any aggression problems with them either. My females that I have now are much louder but not annoyingly so. One of them is a real talker and the rest just chatter most of the day.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2015
  4. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    @ needlessjunk, did you have a flock of just Pekin drakes, or did you have them in a male/female flock? Drakes in a mixed flock are generally not a problem. It sounds as if the OP wants a pet flock of just one gender.

5. needlessjunk

needlessjunk Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2014
    Round Rock, TX
    I had 2 drakes only for a while and they did fine together. They were friendly enough to eat out of my hand when called but did no seek out my attention otherwise. So maybe if they were raised as house ducks or similar pets it could of been a problem?

Last edited: Jan 26, 2015
  6. DuckieLover8

DuckieLover8 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 26, 2015
    Thank you![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by