Do male turkeys fight?

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by Helen in the Desert, Aug 13, 2014.

1. Helen in the Desert

Helen in the Desert Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 27, 2011
    Palm Springs
    Can you keep toms together or do they fight like roosters? What if they are raised together? 4 of my 4 chicks have turned out to be boys...[​IMG]

2. EeyoreD

EeyoreD Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2012
    Attica, MI
    They will absolutely fight. (that's a vid of my tom and his son - the snoody/beardy one is obviously the older one)

That older tom tucked that poult under his wing and raised him with as much care and attention as the hens for months. Raised him and the entire flock was VERY close. But come near spring (late Feb/March) they fought over the hens. I didn't have enough but even if I had they still would have fought over who got who.

It doesn't matter if you raise them together, the need to breed and to be the sole breeder is very strong. Since you have no (or fewer) hens it's only going to be worse.

If you separate them (literally - one tom, one pen) until next fall and then reintegrate they'll probably calm down and just hang out together. But really, I'm sorry, you probably have way too many toms. Nobody's going to be happy

3. retlaw

retlaw Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2013
    If there is no hens around then the fighting shouldn't be that bad if any.

4. Hounds51

Hounds51 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 7, 2014
    Bethel PA
    Yea that would be my thoughts also, especially if there from the same hatch.

5. Book Em Danno25

Book Em Danno25 Overrun With Chickens

Same here.

6. Kelly072

Kelly072 New Egg

Aug 2, 2013
    Yes they will fight....I had 2 toms and they fought until there was blood. I had to give one away.

7. Hounds51

Hounds51 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 7, 2014
    Bethel PA
    Were there any females around, that caused the fight?

8. Kelly072

Kelly072 New Egg

Aug 2, 2013
    Yes I had 1 female with them

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by