1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Do males and females both have the start of a spur?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by CGilbert, Feb 23, 2016.

1. CGilbert

CGilbert Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2015
    Spirit Lake, ID
    So, i know, other than vent sexing, there's no way to sex day old chicks (with the exception of auto sexing breeds or sex linked). But i noticed what looks like the start to a spur on my new little baby. Is that an indication?

[​IMG]

2. sarahandjay

sarahandjay Chillin' With My Peeps

As far as I have been told both male and females have those so not an indicator to sex. First sign will be comb and wattles growth as well as the redness. Roos will grow out their combs and turn redder faster then the pullets.

3. Chicken Girl1

Chicken Girl1 Irish Colleen Premium Member

Mar 3, 2015
    Virginia
    x2

4. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Nope, both genders get spur buds. Some hens even grow some wicked sharp spurs. Your best bet for sexing is comb size and color around 6ish weeks.

5. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Water Under the Bridge Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    x3

6. RodNTN

RodNTN Ayam Cemani Lover Premium Member

May 22, 2013
    The USA
    My Coop
    Yes, both hens and roosters have spur buds. Roosters have larger and redder combs/wattles. My hen has very long spurs. Maybe because she's old . . .? [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by