Do males ever, ever, ever BuckWheat?

asinnamon

In the Brooder
6 Years
Sep 29, 2013
New Hampshire
Ok, I've had this darn bird now since what. August maybe? I have never once heard it buckwheat, not even close. Now it's in a coop in the back and I hear a weird 2 syllable call. Does one buckwheat mean I have a female? I haven't seen any eggs either..

I'm in between Lee & Concord. I'm getting a couple more guineas on Friday to keep this gender confused bird company...Don't know now whether to get girls or boys....

Yes male guineas do buckwheat. Not nearly as much as the females though. One of them, Summer got us really confused. He thought he was a girl for a long time. he eventually figured out how to make the girl noise at 5 months and did it plenty of times, randomly, at least one burst every fortnight for I've lost count how long but then he stopped and started mating the hens. Now it's laying season here in Australia and he is nearly a year old and definitely a boy. A few of the other cocks have buckwheated once but it was just a fluke.

How old is your guinea? If you got him as a baby in August that's a bit early to tell. Do you live in the USA? I think it's non-laying season there you should be opposite of me but anyway they don't lay until at least 5 or 6 months and in laying season. Aussie laying season is Oct-Mar and you might have to look up what's yours. How is he going? Any more girly sounds?

Hi there"
thanks for the question.
many people believe that male guineas don't buck-wheat. the truth is they do when lonely
*one of the boys who was dominant in the flock really confused me with a buck-wheat call. it was like im dreaming, their buck wheat sound is closely to the female sound but with a more harsh sound

Your all right there the males do buckwheat that's why in Australia we only sex them by their wattles and its soooooooo easy its Childs play as my 3 year old daughter can sex them. Many beginners think you sex them by voice but its so unreliable and not how the good breeders do it in Australia.

Back
Top Bottom